Equivalent Impedance: Find Z=84.907-j20.12 ohms

In summary: The input impedance is defined as the ratio of the input voltage to the input current, not the total current for the circuit.
Cursed

Homework Statement

Find the input impedance [tex]Z[/tex]. (i.e. Find [tex]Z[/tex] equivalent.)

Answer in the back of the book: [tex]Z=84.907-j20.12[/tex] ohms

[PLAIN]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8508/circuit.png

Homework Equations

n/a

** [tex]j=sqrt(-1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I combined the 60-ohm, 50-ohm, and -j90 ohm resistors in parallel to get:

[tex]\frac{29700}{1189}-\frac{9000 j}{1189}[/tex]Then, I combined that impedance with the j50 to get:

[tex]\frac{2700}{184009199}+ \frac{3681000 j}{184009199}[/tex]Adding that to the 15- and 100-ohm resistors, I get the wrong answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the current in each of the three loops?

yes, but what dose that have to do with finding the equivalent impedance?

to find the equivalent impedance, you must combine the resistors in the phasor domain. I'm having difficulty doing that.

The equivalent impedance is also equal to the ratio of the input voltage to the input current. In this case, if you assume that the input voltage in the first loop is V, then if you can solve for the current in the first loop, I1, the input impedance will be V/I1.

So, write the KVL equations for the circuit and solve for the current in the first loop.

In order to find the input impedance for the whole circuit, you need to find the total current for the whole circuit, not just the first loop.

skeptic2 said:
In order to find the input impedance for the whole circuit, you need to find the total current for the whole circuit, not just the first loop.

That's not true. The input impedance is *defined* to be the ratio of the input voltage to the input current. The only loop current that passes through the input voltage in this circuit is the current in the first loop.

Note that you still need to write all three loop equations in order to solve for the first loop's current, since they are interrelated.

You are correct, I misinterpreted your previous answer.

Related to Equivalent Impedance: Find Z=84.907-j20.12 ohms

1. What is equivalent impedance and why is it important?

Equivalent impedance is the overall impedance of a circuit or system that takes into account all the individual impedances present. It is important because it helps in analyzing and designing electrical circuits, as well as determining the amount of power that can be delivered to a load.

2. How do you calculate equivalent impedance?

Equivalent impedance can be calculated by adding all the individual impedances in series or by using the parallel impedance formula if the impedances are in parallel. In this case, it can be calculated using the given value of Z=84.907-j20.12 ohms.

3. What does the complex number notation in the equivalent impedance value mean?

The complex number notation in the equivalent impedance value represents the magnitude and phase angle of the impedance. The real part represents the resistive component, while the imaginary part represents the reactive component (either inductive or capacitive). The phase angle indicates the phase difference between the voltage and current in the circuit.

4. How does changing the frequency affect the equivalent impedance?

Changing the frequency can affect the equivalent impedance as it changes the reactive components of the circuit. Inductive components have higher impedance at higher frequencies, while capacitive components have lower impedance at higher frequencies. Therefore, the equivalent impedance will change accordingly.

5. What are some common applications of calculating equivalent impedance?

Calculating equivalent impedance is commonly used in electrical engineering, telecommunications, and circuit design. It is essential in designing filters, matching network, and transmission lines. It is also used in power systems to determine the maximum power transfer and in antenna design to match the antenna's impedance to the transmission line impedance.