Solving unkown impedance in circuit

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation using Kirchhoff's Laws but was not successful.

Homework Statement

Selection_030.png

Homework Equations

V=IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

So my plan is as follows:
Find the current through the 1 ohm resistor, multiplying this by the combined impedance of the capacitor & 1 ohm resistor. Now I know the voltage across the unkown impedance Z. Subtract this voltage from the 12 V source, now I know the voltage through the 9 ohm resistor. Use KCL to find the current through Z, and use V=IZ to find the unknown impedance.

Current through 1 ohm resistor: 4(45d)
Voltage through 1 ohm resistor & capacitor: 4(45d)(1-j1)=5.66(0d)
Voltage through 9 ohm resistor: 12(0d)-5.66(0d) = 6.34(0d)
Current through 9 ohm resistor: 6.34(0d)/9 = 0.7044(0d)

By KCL:
-Ic + Iz + Io = 0
Iz = Ic - Io = 0.7044(0d) - 4(45d) = 3.54(53d)

V/Iz = 5.66(0d)/3.54(53d) = 1.6(-53d) = 0.963-1.278j

But this is wrong, and I've been trying to figure this out for a good hour now, but keep getting the same answer. So I conclude that there's something wrong with my approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you want to check your KCL. There is one current flowing into the node and two flowing out. Which is which?

Likes x86
gneill said:
I think you want to check your KCL. There is one current flowing into the node and two flowing out. Which is which?

Yes. My sign convention is (-) for in, (+) for out. Iz is the current across Z, Io is the current through the resistor/capacitor, Ic is the current through the 9 ohm resistor.

The angle of your Iz looks suspicious. What was your rectangular version?

Likes x86
gneill said:
The angle of your Iz looks suspicious. What was your rectangular version?

0.7044 - 2sqrt(2) - 2sqrt(2)j
-2.124-2.823j
3.537(53d)

x86 said:
0.7044 - 2sqrt(2) - 2sqrt(2)j
-2.124-2.823j
3.537(53d)
Yeah, both terms are negative. In what quadrant should the resulting angle lie?

Likes x86
gneill said:
Yeah, both terms are negative. In what quadrant should the resulting angle lie?

The quadrant where x<0 and y<0, so this means that the answer is 3.537(-53d)

Even so, this doesn't change the real answer, it is still 0.963

But the complex part is correct. Perhaps I'll redo this problem tomorrow when I'm more awake. I really need to focus on the little things more!

Thanks

x86 said:
The quadrant where x<0 and y<0, so this means that the answer is 3.537(-53d)
-53° is in the 4th quadrant where x > 0...

gneill said:
-53° is in the 4th quadrant where x > 0...

Yes you are right. Sorry about that, I was up very late last night and havent' slept well lately.

1. How do you calculate the unknown impedance in a circuit?

To calculate the unknown impedance in a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. First, use Ohm's Law to find the voltage, current, and resistance in different parts of the circuit. Then, use Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze the voltage and current at different nodes and loops in the circuit. Finally, use these values to calculate the unknown impedance using the formula Z = V/I, where Z is the impedance, V is the voltage, and I is the current.

2. What tools are needed to solve for unknown impedance in a circuit?

To solve for unknown impedance in a circuit, you will need basic electrical tools such as a multimeter, a breadboard, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. You may also need a computer with simulation software to analyze complex circuits. Additionally, knowledge of Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and circuit analysis techniques is essential.

3. Can you solve for unknown impedance in a circuit with multiple components?

Yes, you can solve for unknown impedance in a circuit with multiple components. You will need to use a combination of Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to analyze the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You may also need to use series and parallel circuit analysis techniques to simplify the circuit and solve for the unknown impedance.

4. How do you verify the accuracy of the calculated unknown impedance in a circuit?

To verify the accuracy of the calculated unknown impedance in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the impedance at the same point in the circuit. If the measured impedance is close to the calculated impedance, then it is likely that the calculation was accurate. Additionally, you can use simulation software to compare the calculated and simulated values of the unknown impedance.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for unknown impedance in a circuit?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving for unknown impedance in a circuit. These include using incorrect values for voltage, current, or resistance, not accounting for the effects of components such as capacitors and inductors, and not properly applying Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. It is also important to double-check all calculations and use simulation or verification methods to ensure accuracy.