Essay Topic Ideas on Physics: Limited Resources

In summary, the speaker is a student seeking ideas for an experimental physics essay on aerodynamics. They are looking for a topic that can be investigated with limited resources, but still provide enough data for a 4000 word essay. Suggestions are made to investigate the aerodynamics of wind dispersed seeds and to mimic a sycamore seed's movement with paper spinners. The speaker is encouraged to choose a topic they enjoy and to have fun with their project.
pandemic
hello physics forums!
it is my first time here so please excuse me for any mistakes :)

i have to write a 4000 word physics essay
and i wanted to write an experimental one, something preferably related to aerodynamics (since it is my topic of interest)
does anyone have any ideas of specific topics to investigate?
i thought of investigating the magnus effect but my teacher wants specific variables that can create clear, quantitative data and i am unsure what variables to investigate
my resources here at my high school are quite limited so i would prefer ideas that do not require too much equipment, and yet something that i can investigate deeply enough to write a 4000 word essay

thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the aerodynamics of wind dispersed seeds such as the sycamore?

but wouldn't the math behind such an irregularly shaped object be very difficult?
and can you be more specific by providing quantitative variables i can investigate?

thanks

pandemic said:
but wouldn't the math behind such an irregularly shaped object be very difficult?
and can you be more specific by providing quantitative variables i can investigate?

thanks

I think the math will be extremely difficult but for a high school project they cannot expect too much.How about mimicking a sycamore seed action by making and investigating paper spinners.I know these are toys but there is some heavy duty physics behind them.I think if you made a few spinners and played around with them you would see for yourself that there are many variables you could investigate.Whatever you choose to do good luck with it and enjoy it.

ok i'll give it shot
thanks!

1. What are some examples of limited resources in physics?

Some examples of limited resources in physics include energy sources such as fossil fuels, minerals and elements used in technology and manufacturing, and space exploration resources like rocket fuel and spacecraft materials.

2. How does the concept of limited resources relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The first and second laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but rather transformed from one form to another. This means that all resources, including energy, are finite and must be used wisely to avoid depletion.

3. Can you suggest an essay topic on limited resources in the field of physics?

One potential essay topic could be the impact of limited resources on the development and advancement of renewable energy technologies, such as solar panels and wind turbines.

4. How do limited resources in physics affect global economic and political systems?

Limited resources play a significant role in global economic and political systems, as they can drive competition and conflict between countries and industries. For example, the demand for rare earth elements used in electronics and energy technology has led to tensions between countries with large reserves, such as China, and those reliant on imports.

5. What are some potential solutions for managing and conserving limited resources in physics?

Some potential solutions for managing and conserving limited resources in physics include implementing sustainable practices in energy production and consumption, developing alternative materials and technologies that use fewer resources, and promoting education and awareness about resource conservation and management.