Essential software for windows xp

In summary: I meant not only making a linux port, but also making it run/look/feel decent. Thanks for the input.I'll definitely check out the Ubuntu Hoary release.
  • #1
mattmns
1,128
6
Hello, I am using xp again, and I am curious as to what are the must have programs for it.

From looking at another thread, it seems as ad-aware is still a must, but what else? I am wondering mostly about security, virus/malware protection, etc., or any other cool, must have, programs. Anything you think is cool, or useful :cool:

Thanks.
 
Computer science news on Phys.org
  • #2
Well I would suggest NAV (Norton...) for a V!rU5 scanner, and Zone-Alarm for a Firewall. And please make sure to get the updates for XP.

Although, if you don't want to get a V!Ru5 just use common sense when working with files. If a file has no icon, or is very small in size, its a \/!ru5. And if somebody says they are sending you an executable picture of music song, and you open it, you should be banned from the Windows OS lol don't open them. Most people are not aware of simple things like what the "exe" "bat" and "com" extensions can do. I have had my comptuer for years with no NAV, and I have not had an HD crash yet :) And if you think you have a trojen installed, check the startup (boot.ini sys.ini ect..) to see if any weird things are starting up with the computer. And also check Netstat -n
 
  • #3
Hmm, on Zone-Alarm it says that 9/10 computers are infected with spyware, and then to do a scan for spyware on their website I have to use an ActiveX enabled browser, are they crazy? :smile: Thanks for the suggestions.
 
Last edited:
  • #4
mattmns said:
Hmm, on Zone-Alarm it says that 9/10 computers are infected with spyware, and then to do a scan for spyware on their website I have to use an ActiveX enabled browser, are they crazy? :smile: Thanks for the suggestions.


WEll, duh you have to have ActiveX for their website to scan your computer. What did you expect? Download Spybot and Ad-aware. Run them frequently. Daily if you really want to keep your system free.

Or you could bail on windows entirely and save yourself all this trouble.
 
  • #5
1st thing first...DO NOT USE AN ADMINSTRATIVE A/C to work commonly.

1st thing first...DO NOT USE AN ADMINSTRATIVE A/C to work commonly.
That is it.
NO Virus can spread unless they are super-user, or Admin. That is the idea.
So connect to net when you are an ordinary user, and that is it!
:!)
 
  • #6
nmondal said:
1st thing first...DO NOT USE AN ADMINSTRATIVE A/C to work commonly.
That is it.
NO Virus can spread unless they are super-user, or Admin. That is the idea.
So connect to net when you are an ordinary user, and that is it!
:!)

Not entirely accurate. A virus can still be spread by a regular user. Its just much harder for the virus to cause widespread damage because its limited in what files it can attack.
 
  • #7
Thanks.

Franz, I just came back from using nothing but linux for about 6 months. I got tired of software support because very few companies support linux.
 
  • #8
mattmns said:
Thanks.

Franz, I just came back from using nothing but linux for about 6 months. I got tired of software support because very few companies support linux.
Have you tried the new Ubuntu Hoary release? It has awesome hardware support and tons of apps via synaptic. I also didnt have a problem mounting my seconday NTFS HDD in it. but all this depends on what you actually use your system for.
 
  • #9
Yes I used Ubuntu for the past three months. I used hoary for a few weeks, and it is very nice, but linux just does not have what I need. On hoary the only problem with my hardware was that my cd burner would never work, other than that it had great hardware support. Also, I am no computer expert, and although using linux was fun, it was often too much work for me.
 
  • #10
mattmns said:
Thanks.

Franz, I just came back from using nothing but linux for about 6 months. I got tired of software support because very few companies support linux.


I'm curious what software you need that isn't supported on linux(no particular reason, just curious).
 
  • #11
Minesweeper! Yes there are linux versions, like gnome mines, and kmines, but they are crap imo. Wine did a decent job with minesweeper, but it was not as good as the real version. Also, Opera looks terrible on Linux. When I said support, I meant not only making a linux port, but also making it run/look/feel decent.
 
  • #12
mattmns said:
Minesweeper! Yes there are linux versions, like gnome mines, and kmines, but they are crap imo. Wine did a decent job with minesweeper, but it was not as good as the real version. Also, Opera looks terrible on Linux. When I said support, I meant not only making a linux port, but also making it run/look/feel decent.


I hope you're joking. I really do. I'm going to assume you are. I don't want to hate you.
 
  • #13
lol Mine sweeper. but i guess to each his own :)
 
  • #14
No, I was dead serious, I love minesweeper.
 
  • #15
mattmns said:
No, I was dead serious, I love minesweeper.

So you're a Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert.

Figures.
 
  • #16
Mac OS X Tiger
 
  • #17
For a long time, the main reason I used Windows was the availability of emulation software, so if you're going to use XP, you might as well pick up some of the better emulators (e.g. FCEUltra, ZSNES).
 
  • #18
XP has better IM stuff for webcams, so you can chat online with hot babes, all day.
 
  • #19
SpaceTiger said:
For a long time, the main reason I used Windows was the availability of emulation software, so if you're going to use XP, you might as well pick up some of the better emulators (e.g. FCEUltra, ZSNES).

Those run on Linux you know...

Well, I know ZSNES does, since i use it all the time. And so do quite a few others.
 
  • #20
LeBrad said:
XP has better IM stuff for webcams, so you can chat online with hot babes, all day.


So, if you're more pathetic than the most anti-social computer geek ever, Windows is for you!
 
  • #21
LeBrad, you've never tried GnomeMeeting I assume:

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

franznietzsche, your right, and here is the most popular emulator:

http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #22
dduardo said:
LeBrad, you've never tried GnomeMeeting I assume:

http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
No I haven't, probably because I used KDE over Gnome (and fluxbox over KDE). But thank you for pointing that out to me. All I tried was some video thing for gaim which was awful.


An hilarious dude said:
So, if you're more pathetic than the most anti-social computer geek ever, Windows is for you!
ZING!

FredNeiche, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #23
franznietzsche said:
Those run on Linux you know...

Haha, I'm a staff member for Zophar's Domain, so I know about the emulation options for Linux. Even the ones that do have Linux versions are notoriously unreliable on that platform. Please, try to tell me that an emulation enthusiast is better off with Linux, it will amuse me greatly. :biggrin:

So, if you're more pathetic than the most anti-social computer geek ever, Windows is for you!

Now there's the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:
 
  • #24
SpaceTiger said:
Haha, I'm a staff member for Zophar's Domain, so I know about the emulation options for Linux. Even the ones that do have Linux versions are notoriously unreliable on that platform. Please, try to tell me that an emulation enthusiast is better off with Linux, it will amuse me greatly. :biggrin:

To be fair, the only one i use regularly is ZSNES, and it runs flawlessly for me.
Though, i was saddened when NEStron didn't work in wine.


Now there's the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:


No, I am the most anti-social computer geek ever, but I don't stoop so low as to webcam chat. I have dignity dammit. Or i like to pretend i do at least. :uhh:
 
  • #25
franznietzsche said:
To be fair, the only one i use regularly is ZSNES, and it runs flawlessly for me.
Though, i was saddened when NEStron didn't work in wine.

I don't mean to say that there are no good emulators for Linux, just that your options are much more limited. I would be the last to diminish the contributions of, for example, the authors of X-MAME or FUSE, but the fact is that most authors write for Windows. Why? Because it's what most people have. If all you want to do is play the popular games from a popular (and old) system, then the Linux emulators will do the trick. If you actually want to make a hobby of it or play something obscure, you'd be well-advised to, at the very least, dual boot.
 
  • #26
franznietzsche said:
I have dignity dammit. Or i like to pretend i do at least.

Dignity? What's that? Is it one of those diseases that makes you lose the ability to consistently capitalize 'i'?
 
  • #27
LeBrad said:
Dignity? What's that? Is it one of those diseases that makes you lose the ability to consistently capitalize 'i'?

No, it's one of those diseases that makes you lose the ability to capitalize on webcam opportunities with internet babes! :biggrin:
 

1. What is essential software for Windows XP?

Essential software for Windows XP refers to the programs and applications that are necessary for the proper functioning and usability of the Windows XP operating system.

2. Do I need to download additional software for Windows XP?

While Windows XP comes with a basic set of built-in software, it is recommended to download additional software to enhance the functionality and security of your computer.

3. What are some examples of essential software for Windows XP?

Some examples of essential software for Windows XP include antivirus programs, web browsers, media players, office productivity suites, and system maintenance tools.

4. Where can I find and download essential software for Windows XP?

You can find and download essential software for Windows XP from various sources such as the Microsoft website, software download websites, and the manufacturer's website for specific programs.

5. Is it important to regularly update essential software for Windows XP?

Yes, it is crucial to regularly update essential software for Windows XP to ensure that your computer is protected from security vulnerabilities and to access new features and improvements.

Similar threads

Replies
17
Views
792
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
29
Views
4K
Replies
4
Views
4K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • Computing and Technology
2
Replies
39
Views
4K
Replies
35
Views
6K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
8
Views
401
  • Computing and Technology
3
Replies
92
Views
7K
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Computing and Technology
Replies
18
Views
1K
Back
Top