Estimating Pressure, RMS Speed of Hydrogen in Space

In summary, in space far from stars, the density of hydrogen atoms is approximately 1 atom/cm^3 and the temperature is 3 degrees Kelvin. Using gas laws and the given constants, the pressure is calculated to be 4.14x10^-17 Pa or 4x10^-22 atm. The root mean square speed of the atoms is calculated to be 0.86 m/s. To find the edge length of an LxLxL cube with 1 J of thermal energy, the number of atoms is calculated using the average kinetic energy per atom and the ideal gas law, resulting in a volume of 5.56x10^-25 cm^3. Alternatively, the number of molecules can be found using
fredrick08

Homework Statement

in space far from stars is filled with a very low density of hydrogen atoms, the number density is about 1atom/cm^3 and T is about 3degreeK

a. estimate the pressure in space, answer in Pa and atm.
b. what is the rms speed of the atoms
c. what is the edge length L of an LxLxL cube of gas with 1J of thermal energy
k=1.38x106-23
1atm=101.3kPa
atomic mass of hydrogen=1.67x10^-27kg

Homework Equations

N/V=n
vrms=sqrt(3kT/m)
N/V*M=m
PV=NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

a. P=(N/V)kT=(1/1x10-6)*1.38x10^-23*3=4.14x10^-17Pa=4x10^-22atm?
b.m=(N/V)M=(1/1x10^-6)1.67x10^-27=1.67x10^-22kg
so vrms=sqrt(9*1.38x10^-23/1.67x10^-22)=.86m/s?

and c. i have no idea, please someone help, this micro macro stuff is stupid... I am not sure about the vrms formula is correct, since in the book it says its for molecules, but i can't find anything on atoms... I am pretty sure i have done something wrong for the number density, as i don't know, coz its in atoms/cm^3... and I am just stuck please some help me...

Physics news on Phys.org
ok well i think m is just atomic mass so vrms=sqrt(9*1.38x106-23/1.67x10^-27)=273m/s i think
please can anyone tell me if i am doing this right?

Hi fredrick08,

What is the average kinetic energy of one atom? And so how many atoms would you need to give 1 J of energy? Once you have that, how is the number of atoms related to the volume they occupy?

How about just converting to moles per volume? A gas is 22.4 liters per mole at STP. Just use the gas laws from chemistry.

Hi sirzerp,

Perhaps I'm not understanding your train of thought; how will converting to moles and calculating volumes at STP help find the volume containing 1 J of energy at 3K?

(a) looks good to me

(b)
vrms=sqrt(9*1.38x106-23/1.67x10^-27)

Right idea, but one of the numbers is incorrect here.

alphysicist said:
Hi sirzerp,

Perhaps I'm not understanding your train of thought; how will converting to moles and calculating volumes at STP help find the volume containing 1 J of energy at 3K?

We know the number of moles per volume and temp. Just treat it as an ideal gas right?

Once you know pressure, is not pressure a direct energy unit?

Last edited:
Hi Redbelly98,

Redbelly98 said:
(a) looks good to me

(b)

Right idea, but one of the numbers is incorrect here.

There is a 6 where a ^ should be; but I think other than that the numbers are correct. Are you seeing something that I am overlooking?

sirzerp said:
We know the number of moles per volume and temp. Just treat it as an ideal gas right?

Once you know pressure, is not pressure a direct energy unit?

Yes, so you could use

[tex]
P =\frac{2}{3}\frac{U}{V}
[/tex]

and solve for V; but I don't think you need to convert to moles or calculate things at STP.

-------------------

My original suggestion also gave the volume in two step from the given data. The number of molecules giving an energy U is:

[tex]
U=\frac{3}{2} N k T
[/tex]

and since the density is (1 atom/cm^3) then number for N is the volume (in cm^3).

alphysicist said:
There is a 6 where a ^ should be; but I think other than that the numbers are correct. Are you seeing something that I am overlooking?

Oops, I was looking at the first factor of 9, thinking it should be a 3. But he had already multiplied 3 with the T=3K.

Sorry! :redface:

(b) looks good to me now!

ok ty heaps, srry i was away, just got up lol, ok it makes sense now, srry for also confusing anyone, unfortunately I've never done chemistry before, so i don't really know the chem formulas just the ones in my physics book...

Related to Estimating Pressure, RMS Speed of Hydrogen in Space

1. How is pressure estimated in space?

The pressure in space is estimated by using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges or manometers. These devices measure the force exerted by the gas molecules on a given area, which is then used to calculate the pressure.

2. What is the RMS speed of hydrogen in space?

The RMS (root mean square) speed of hydrogen in space refers to the average speed of hydrogen molecules at a given temperature. It is calculated using the root mean square equation, which takes into account the velocity of each molecule.

3. Why is it important to estimate pressure and RMS speed of hydrogen in space?

Estimating the pressure and RMS speed of hydrogen in space is crucial for understanding the behavior of gases in the vacuum of space. It helps scientists to better understand the properties and dynamics of the universe.

4. What factors affect the pressure and RMS speed of hydrogen in space?

The pressure and RMS speed of hydrogen in space can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, density, and the presence of other gases. Additionally, the gravitational pull of nearby objects can also impact the behavior of hydrogen molecules.

5. How do scientists use the estimated pressure and RMS speed of hydrogen in space in their research?

Scientists use the estimated pressure and RMS speed of hydrogen in space to study various phenomena such as the formation of stars and galaxies, the movement of particles in the interstellar medium, and the expansion of the universe. This information also helps in developing spacecraft and other equipment for space exploration.