Evaluate the integral by converting to polar coordinates

I'm glad you got it figured out.In summary, the conversation discusses converting an integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates and evaluating it by drawing a picture of the bounds. The speaker made an error in the region of integration, but was able to correct it with the help of the listener. It is emphasized that accurately representing the region of integration is crucial in these types of problems.
jillf

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral
integral from 0 to 1 of (integral from y to sqrt(2-y^2) of (3(x-y))dxdy)
by converting to polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

x = rcos(theta)
y = rsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

By drawing a picture of the bounds, I concluded that r goes from 0 to sqrt(2) and theta goes from pi/4 to pi/2.
I tried to integrate like this:
integral from 0 to sqrt(2) of 3(rcos(theta) - rsin(theta) r dr dtheta
= integral from 0 to sqrt(2) of 3r^2 (cos(theta) - sin(theta)) dr dtheta
= r^3(cos(theta) - sin(theta)) where r is from 0 to sqrt(2)
=2sqrt(2) * integral from pi/4 to pi/2 of (cos(theta)-sin(theta)) dtheta
=2sqrt(2) * (sin(theta)+cos(theta)) with theta from pi/4 to pi/2
=2sqrt(2) *((1+0)-((sqrt(2)/2) + (sqrt(2)/2))
=2sqrt(2) *(1-sqrt(2))
=2sqrt(2) - 4

The actual answer is 4 - 2sqrt(2) so I missed a sign somewhere, but I cannot find it. Sorry if it's difficult to read. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
jillf said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral
integral from 0 to 1 of (integral from y to sqrt(2-y^2) of (3(x-y))dxdy)
by converting to polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

x = rcos(theta)
y = rsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

By drawing a picture of the bounds, I concluded that r goes from 0 to sqrt(2) and theta goes from pi/4 to pi/2.
Here's your problem. The region of integration is the sector of a circle that extends from theta = 0 to theta = pi/4. The radius is as you have it.
jillf said:
I tried to integrate like this:
integral from 0 to sqrt(2) of 3(rcos(theta) - rsin(theta) r dr dtheta
= integral from 0 to sqrt(2) of 3r^2 (cos(theta) - sin(theta)) dr dtheta
= r^3(cos(theta) - sin(theta)) where r is from 0 to sqrt(2)
=2sqrt(2) * integral from pi/4 to pi/2 of (cos(theta)-sin(theta)) dtheta
=2sqrt(2) * (sin(theta)+cos(theta)) with theta from pi/4 to pi/2
=2sqrt(2) *((1+0)-((sqrt(2)/2) + (sqrt(2)/2))
=2sqrt(2) *(1-sqrt(2))
=2sqrt(2) - 4

The actual answer is 4 - 2sqrt(2) so I missed a sign somewhere, but I cannot find it. Sorry if it's difficult to read. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That solves the problem! Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Sure, you're welcome. As you found out, it's very important to have an accurate understanding of the region of integration. In many problems of this type, the hardest part can often be representing the region of integration in a different coordinate system.

Related to Evaluate the integral by converting to polar coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference direction. It is commonly used in mathematics and science to describe the location of a point in a circular or spherical system.

2. Why do we convert to polar coordinates when evaluating integrals?

Polar coordinates can simplify the process of evaluating integrals, especially when the integrand contains terms with both sine and cosine functions. By converting to polar coordinates, we can often eliminate one of these functions and make the integral easier to solve.

3. How do we convert from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), we use the equations r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). These equations represent the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis, respectively.

4. What is the process for evaluating integrals using polar coordinates?

The first step is to convert the integrand to polar coordinates by substituting the equations for r and θ into the integral. Then, we use the appropriate trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand. Finally, we integrate with respect to r and θ and convert back to rectangular coordinates if necessary.

5. Can we always use polar coordinates to evaluate integrals?

No, polar coordinates are only useful for certain types of integrals, particularly those involving circular or symmetric shapes. In some cases, using other coordinate systems such as cylindrical or spherical coordinates may be more appropriate. It is important to analyze the problem and determine the best coordinate system to use for each integral.