1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exam question.

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(b) Fig. Q.5 shows a light rod pivoted at its centre. There are concentrated masses of 0.6 kg located at each end, 0.3 m from the centre of rotation The rod is rotated by a falling mass suspended from a cord wrapped around the centre spindle of diameter 50 mm. If the rod and masses have an angular acceleration of 5 rad/s2,

Determine:

(i) The moment of inertia of the assembly, neglecting that of rod and spindle

(ii) The torque on the spindle (assuming friction torque is negligible)

(iii) The tension in the cord

(iv) The angular velocity 5 seconds after release of the mass

I attached the fig5

NB: i dont want the answers i just need, some one to explain me how to do it. and witch formula i need to use.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Futur: You deleted two important parts of the required template. The PF rules state, you must list relevant equations yourself, and you must show your work. Then someone might check your math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook