Analyzing a Pivoted Light Rod with Concentrated Masses

• Thread starter The Futur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Rod
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a light rod that is pivoted at its center and has two masses of 0.6 kg each located at its ends. The rod is rotated by a falling mass attached to a cord wrapped around the center spindle. The problem asks for the moment of inertia of the assembly, the torque on the spindle, the tension in the cord, and the angular velocity after 5 seconds. The necessary equations to solve this problem are not provided, but the poster is looking for guidance on how to approach the problem and which equations to use.
The Futur

Homework Statement

(b) Fig. Q.5 shows a light rod pivoted at its centre. There are concentrated masses of 0.6 kg located at each end, 0.3 m from the centre of rotation The rod is rotated by a falling mass suspended from a cord wrapped around the centre spindle of diameter 50 mm. If the rod and masses have an angular acceleration of 5 rad/s2,

Determine:

(i) The moment of inertia of the assembly, neglecting that of rod and spindle

(ii) The torque on the spindle (assuming friction torque is negligible)

(iii) The tension in the cord

(iv) The angular velocity 5 seconds after release of the mass

I attached the fig5

NB: i don't want the answers i just need, some one to explain me how to do it. and witch formula i need to use.

Attachments

• fig q.5.png
    fig q.5.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
The Futur: You deleted two important parts of the required template. The PF rules state, you must list relevant equations yourself, and you must show your work. Then someone might check your math.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant physical principles and equations to use. In this case, the key concepts are rotational motion, torque, and moment of inertia.

(i) To determine the moment of inertia of the assembly, we can use the equation I = Σmr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, Σm is the sum of the masses, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. In this case, we need to calculate the moment of inertia of the two masses located at each end of the rod. Since the masses are concentrated, we can treat them as point masses and use the formula I = mr^2. Plugging in the values, we get I = (0.6 kg)(0.3 m)^2 + (0.6 kg)(0.3 m)^2 = 0.108 kg m^2. This is the moment of inertia of the assembly, neglecting the rod and spindle.

(ii) The torque on the spindle can be calculated using the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. In this case, we know the moment of inertia from part (i) and the angular acceleration given in the problem. Plugging in the values, we get τ = (0.108 kg m^2)(5 rad/s^2) = 0.54 Nm. This is the torque on the spindle, assuming friction torque is negligible.

(iii) To determine the tension in the cord, we can use the equation τ = Fr, where τ is the torque, F is the tension force, and r is the radius of the spindle. We know the torque from part (ii) and the radius of the spindle is given as 50 mm, or 0.05 m. Plugging in the values, we get F = 0.54 Nm / 0.05 m = 10.8 N. This is the tension in the cord.

(iv) Finally, to calculate the angular velocity 5 seconds after the mass is released, we can use the equation ω = ω0 + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω0 is the initial angular velocity (which is 0 in this case), α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time. Plugging in the values, we get ω

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses?

The purpose of analyzing a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses is to understand the behavior of the rod when it is subjected to external forces. This type of analysis is commonly used in engineering and physics to determine the stability, strength, and motion of structures.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses?

The moment of inertia for a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses can be calculated by summing the individual moments of inertia for each concentrated mass. The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the pivot point.

3. What factors affect the stability of a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses?

The stability of a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses is affected by several factors, including the distribution of the masses along the rod, the distance between the masses and the pivot point, and the magnitude and direction of external forces applied to the rod.

4. What is the difference between a pivoted light rod and a fixed light rod?

A pivoted light rod is able to rotate freely around a pivot point, while a fixed light rod is held in place and cannot rotate. This difference affects the analysis of the rod, as a pivoted rod will experience different forces and moments compared to a fixed rod.

5. How can the analysis of a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses be applied in real-world situations?

The analysis of a pivoted light rod with concentrated masses has many practical applications, such as in the design of bridges and cranes, the stability of buildings and other structures, and the motion of objects under the influence of external forces. This type of analysis is also used in fields such as aerospace engineering, where understanding the behavior of structures under various forces is crucial for safe and efficient designs.