Expand Polynomials: Finding Coefficients Using Pascal's Triangle

• Thread starter NotEnuffChars
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, you can find the first and last terms of an infinite sum by looking at the pattern of powers of a and b.
NotEnuffChars

Homework Statement

Expand (a+b)n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting n=2, (a+b)n = a2 + 2ab + b2
Substituting n=3, (a+b)n = a3 + 3a2b + 3ab2 + b3

It's easy to see the powers of a decrease at the same time as the powers of b increase by order 1 each time. Substituting n-1 and n-2 into my attempt at a general form yields

an + k1an-1bn-2 + ... + k2an-2bn-1 + bn

(where k is the co-efficient of a term in the series)

I can use pascals triangle to find the co-efficients quite easily, however I'm struggling to find a pattern that I can write mathematically where I can substitute some value for n and output some value for k.

Physics news on Phys.org
We use the term combinatorial denoted by [tex]^nC_k[/tex] or [tex]C(n,k)[/tex] where n is the power in the expansion and k is the kth coefficient in the expansion, starting from k=0 for the anb0 factor and ending in k=n for the a0bn factor.

You can find the value of each combinatorial by either looking at the nth row in pascals triangle and the kth number across (again, the 1 at the start being k=0) or you can use a calculator...
or... since you're looking for a more mathematical approach to solving each combinatorial:

[tex]^nC_k=\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex]

Mentallic said:
We use the term combinatorial denoted by [tex]^nC_k[/tex] or [tex]C(n,k)[/tex] where n is the power in the expansion and k is the kth coefficient in the expansion, starting from k=0 for the anb0 factor and ending in k=n for the a0bn factor.

You can find the value of each combinatorial by either looking at the nth row in pascals triangle and the kth number across (again, the 1 at the start being k=0) or you can use a calculator...
or... since you're looking for a more mathematical approach to solving each combinatorial:

[tex]^nC_k=\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}[/tex]

Very good. Thanks.

What's the norm in writing this as an infinite sum? Do we write

Sigma k=0 to n nCk an-1 bn-2

As an infinite sum? I think you mean just a sum :tongue:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n^nC_ka^{n-k}b^k[/tex]

Oh by the way, I didn't notice it until you wrote out your sum like that in post #3. You expanded the general case incorrectly -

it's meant to be

[tex]a^n+^nC_1a^{n-1}b+^nC_2a^{n-2}b^2+...+^nC_{n-2}a^2b^{n-2}+^nC_{n-1}ab^{n-1}+b^n[/tex]

Note that [tex]^nC_0=^nC_n=1[/tex] and ofcourse [tex]a^0=b^0=1[/tex] just so you know why the first and last term are simply an and bn respectively.

Mentallic said:
As an infinite sum? I think you mean just a sum :tongue:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n^nC_ka^{n-k}b^k[/tex]

Haha, yep. I was thinking to infinity, nicely picked up :biggrin:

Mentallic said:
Oh by the way, I didn't notice it until you wrote out your sum like that in post #3. You expanded the general case incorrectly -

it's meant to be

[tex]a^n+^nC_1a^{n-1}b+^nC_2a^{n-2}b^2+...+^nC_{n-2}a^2b^{n-2}+^nC_{n-1}ab^{n-1}+b^n[/tex]

Note that [tex]^nC_0=^nC_n=1[/tex] and ofcourse [tex]a^0=b^0=1[/tex] just so you know why the first and last term are simply an and bn respectively.

Aah, the [tex]a^{n-k}[/tex] and [tex]b^{k}[/tex] makes sense :D [STRIKE]and the first and last terms made sense already :D[/STRIKE] well, the way I thought about it was just by simply looking at the pattern when I substituted n=2 and n=3. I naturally saw that n will remain on the first and last terms. It got me through (in a kind of a hack) but even better to know the right way about finding the first and last terms in the series. Sometimes leaving off the invisible 1 is misleading.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Last edited:
No worries :smile:

1. What is Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a triangular arrangement of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers directly above it. It is named after the French mathematician Blaise Pascal who first described it in the 17th century.

2. How is Pascal's Triangle used in expanding polynomials?

Pascal's Triangle can be used to find the coefficients of an expanded polynomial. Each row of the triangle represents the coefficients of the corresponding polynomial term. For example, the third row (1 3 3 1) represents the coefficients of the expanded polynomial (x + y)^3.

3. Can Pascal's Triangle be used for polynomials with more than two terms?

Yes, Pascal's Triangle can be used for polynomials with any number of terms. The coefficients of each term will be represented in the corresponding row of the triangle, starting with the first term at the top.

4. What is the benefit of using Pascal's Triangle to expand polynomials?

Using Pascal's Triangle to expand polynomials can save time and effort compared to doing it manually. It also helps to easily identify patterns in the coefficients and allows for quick calculation of coefficients for higher powers.

5. Are there any limitations to using Pascal's Triangle for expanding polynomials?

Pascal's Triangle can only be used for polynomials with whole number powers. It cannot be used for polynomials with negative or fractional powers. Additionally, it is only useful for expanding binomials (polynomials with two terms).