Expanding 2^(ab)-1: A Guide to the Mersenne Number Theorem

• Thread starter Joseph1739
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expanding
In summary: And what formula did they give you for the finite sum?##1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^{k-1} = \frac{1-x^k}{1-x}####1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^{k-1} = \frac{1-x^k}{1-x}##That's the one. If you put ##x = 2^a## that will give you the right hand side of the equation in the problem statement, and if you put ##x = 2^b##
Joseph1739

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand a proof for Mersenne number theorem, but I'm having trouble understanding the expansion from 2ab-1 into (2a-1)((2a)b-1+(2a)b-2+...+2a+1)).

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start really and I can't seem to find any proof that explains what is going on in this step.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph1739 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand a proof for Mersenne number theorem, but I'm having trouble understanding the expansion from 2ab-1 into (2a-1)((2a)b-1+(2a)b-2+...+2a+1)).

Homework Equations

Not sure

I don't know where to start really and I can't seem to find any proof that explains what is going on in this step.
They are factoring ##2^{ab} - 1## into the two factors you show. Note that ##(a^m)^n = a^{mn}##.

Mark44 said:
They are factoring ##2^{ab} - 1## into the two factors you show. Note that ##(a^m)^n = a^{mn}##.
Sorry, I forgot to include that part. I understand that (am)n = amn. I don't see how see how (2a)b-1 helps with factoring this though. To be honest, before I saw this proof, I thought there were no other ways to factor it. Is there some factoring rule that I am missing?

Joseph1739 said:
Sorry, I forgot to include that part. I understand that (am)n = amn. I don't see how see how (2a)b-1 helps with factoring this though. To be honest, before I saw this proof, I thought there were no other ways to factor it. Is there some factoring rule that I am missing?
It's not a rule that you would learn in an algebra class, I don't believe. Try it out with some specific numbers. For example, with a = 3 and b = 2, you have ##2^6 - 1 = (2^3 - 1)(2^3 + 1)##.
With a = 3 and b = 3, you have ##2^9 - 1 = (2^3 - 1)(2^6 + 2^3 + 1)##

Mark44 said:
It's not a rule that you would learn in an algebra class, I don't believe. Try it out with some specific numbers. For example, with a = 3 and b = 2, you have ##2^6 - 1 = (2^3 - 1)(2^3 + 1)##.
With a = 3 and b = 3, you have ##2^9 - 1 = (2^3 - 1)(2^6 + 2^3 + 1)##
I was trying it out with (22)3 and it simplifies to the same result. I just really wanted to know how that equivalence was derived.

Joseph1739 said:
I was trying it out with (22)3 and it simplifies to the same result. I just really wanted to know how that equivalence was derived.

Look at the formula for summing a geometric series.

Dick said:
Look at the formula for summing a geometric series.
Would that make it: ((2ab(1-2ab)/(1-2)) -1 = -22ab -1 ? Am I doing something wrong here? Ignoring the -1 right now, the first term is 2ab, n = ab, and the common ratio is 2.

Joseph1739 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Not sure

Have you ever seen the expansion
[tex] x^n - 1= (x-1)(1+x+x^2+ \cdots x^{n-1}) [/tex]
for any ##x## and positive integer ##n##? Just apply it to ##x = 2^a## and ##n = b##, provided that ##b## is a positive integer.

Ray Vickson said:
Have you ever seen the expansion
[tex] x^n - 1= (x-1)(1+x+x^2+ \cdots x^{n-1}) [/tex]
for any ##x## and positive integer ##n##? Just apply it to ##x = 2^a## and ##n = b##, provided that ##b## is a positive integer.
I don't know how that expansion is derived. I understand how to get expression on the right side by dividing the original polynomial by (x-1), but I don't know how (x-1) was factored with begin with.

Joseph1739 said:
I don't know how that expansion is derived. I understand how to get expression on the right side by dividing the original polynomial by (x-1), but I don't know how (x-1) was factored with begin with.

Sorry, I assumed everybody had seen that result before, as it is a part of elementary algebra. You can derive it from the formula for the sum
[tex] 1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^k [/tex]
Google 'geometric series'.

Ray Vickson said:
Sorry, I assumed everybody had seen that result before, as it is a part of elementary algebra. You can derive it from the formula for the sum
[tex] 1 + x + x^2 + \cdots + x^k [/tex]
Google 'geometric series'.
Would't that result in = 1(1-xk)/(1-x) = (1-x)k-1?

Joseph1739 said:
Would't that result in = 1(1-xk)/(1-x) = (1-x)k-1?

No.

Anyway, why would you think that ##(1-x^k)/(1-x) = (1-x)^{k-1}##? That is false. Try it for yourself: put ##x = 1/2## and ##k = 3## into both sides and see what happens.

Have you done what I suggested (Google 'geometric series')?

Joseph1739 said:

It looks like you know everything but don't know your know it.
You know how to get from left to right and right to left.
If the question is how did anyone hit on the fact (x - 1) is a factor of (x n - 1) without someone telling them, or the examples, they could have noticedn that x = 1 makes (x nn - 1) be 0 and after a bit they said

And you should have met it in another form, see #6, though not always the relation is pointed out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I did google geometric series. I looked at the sum of geometric series formula when the other guy posted about it. And I got:
1 = first element
x = common ratio
k = nth element

Joseph1739 said:
Yeah, I did google geometric series. I looked at the sum of geometric series formula when the other guy posted about it. And I got:
1 = first element
x = common ratio
k = nth element

And what formula did they give you for the finite sum?

epenguin said:
It looks like you know everything but don't know your know it.
You know how to get from left to right and right to left.
If the question is how did anyone hit on the fact (x - 1) is a factor of (x n - 1) without someone telling them, or the examples, they could have noticedn that x = 1 makes (x nn - 1) be 0 and after a bit they said
That makes sense, but how does 2a-1 factor out of (2a)b-1? 2 raised to a power minus 1 will not be zero anymore unless the exponent is 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Vickson said:
And what formula did they give you for the finite sum?
(a1)(1-rn/1-r) = (1)(1-xk/1-x) = (1-xk)/(1-x)

:oldtongue:Re #16 Just look at formula in #8 for instance.

2a is x and b is n.b

Note that since 2ab = (2a)b = (2b)a you can get another valid formula just exchanging a with b everywhere, there is nothing to distinguish between a and b algebraically, though extra-mathematically you might have decided on them standing for particular different things.

But maybe the question was a different one: you did not realize that nothing was being raised to power -1: the guy was just using correct notation (for a subtraction of 1 from (2a)b) which a lot of people don't bother with here. :oldtongue:

Last edited:
epenguin said:
:oldtongue:Re #16 Just look at formula in #8 for instance.

2a is x and b is n.

Note that since 2ab = 2ab = 2ba
No, these aren't right.
##2^{ab} = (2^a)^b \neq 2^{a^b}##
For example, ##2^{2\cdot 3} = (2^2)^3 = 2^6 = 64##, but ##2^{2^3} = 2^8 = 256##
epenguin said:
you can get another valid formula just exchanging a with b everywhere, there is nothing to distinguish between a and b algebraically, though extra-mathematically you might have decided on them standing for particular different things.

But maybe the question was a different one: you did not realize that nothing was being raised to power -1: the guy was just using correct notation (for a subtraction) which a lot of people don't bother with here. :oldtongue:

Thank you typo corrected

Understand this:
https://www.math.iupui.edu/~ccowen/OldCoursePages/Math300F07/300F07Quiz4.pdf

My condensed version:
You know you can factor (x-1) out of (x^n-1) because x=1 is guaranteed to be a root of the polynomial (x^n-1) (because whether n is even or odd we will always get zero when x=1).

We write the second factor of our expansion so that it ends in +1. The two factors multiplied together cause a series of cancellations to occur which result in the original expression (x^n-1).

Once this is understood (as someone else mentioned already) plug in 2^ab into (x^n-1) where x=2 and n=ab.

1. What is the Mersenne Number Theorem?

The Mersenne Number Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that a number of the form 2^(ab) - 1, where a and b are positive integers, is a prime number if and only if both a and b are prime numbers themselves.

2. Why are Mersenne numbers important?

Mersenne numbers are important because they have been extensively studied in mathematics and have connections to many other areas of study, such as number theory, algebra, and computer science. They also have practical applications in cryptography and error-correcting codes.

3. How are Mersenne numbers related to the search for prime numbers?

Mersenne numbers are closely related to the search for prime numbers because they are a specific type of number that has been shown to have a higher likelihood of being prime compared to other numbers. This makes them a useful tool for finding and testing large prime numbers.

4. What is the significance of the exponent in the Mersenne number formula?

The exponent in the Mersenne number formula, 2^(ab) - 1, is significant because it determines the size of the resulting Mersenne number. As the exponent increases, the number becomes larger and thus more difficult to test for primality. The current largest known prime number is a Mersenne number with an exponent of over 24 million digits.

5. Can the Mersenne Number Theorem be used to find all prime numbers?

No, the Mersenne Number Theorem can only be used to identify a subset of prime numbers that follow the 2^(ab) - 1 formula. It cannot be used to find all prime numbers, as there are infinitely many primes that do not fit this formula. Therefore, other methods and theorems are needed to find and prove the primality of all prime numbers.