Calculating Heat Required for Compressed Gas to Become a Gas Again

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the amount of energy required for a compressed gas to turn back into a gas from a liquid state. The person suggests researching terms such as "latent heat" and "heat of vaporization" to solve the problem. They also mention needing to find the specific amount of energy (22kJ) needed for a specific gas (freon) to undergo a state change.
whatmough
I don't know what to research or where to start but I would like to know much energy a compressed gas a requires to turn back into a gas if it is a liquid. Is there a term I should research and a formula like with specific heat?

The problem I am trying to solve is how much heat does X units of say freon for example absorb from the air when it goes to stap (? 14.7 psi).

Its been a while since I have been out of grade 10 physics so excuse my stupidity...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking at a phase change between gas and liquid you should look at stuff like 'latent heat' and 'heat of vaporization'.

Thanks I have read a bit but am still stuck... Where do I start?

I want to see how much freon needs to change state from liquid to gas to absorb about 22kJ of energy...

Keep looking, I'm finding values like 150kJ/kg for the latent heat. So how much to do 22kJ?

FAQ: Calculating Heat Required for Compressed Gas to Become a Gas Again

What is the process for calculating the heat required for compressed gas to become a gas again?

The process for calculating the heat required for compressed gas to become a gas again involves using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. This equation can be rearranged to solve for temperature, which can then be used to calculate the heat required for the gas to reach its desired temperature.

How does the volume of the compressed gas affect the amount of heat required for it to become a gas again?

The volume of the compressed gas is directly proportional to the amount of heat required for it to become a gas again. This means that as the volume of the gas increases, the amount of heat needed to reach the desired temperature also increases. This is because the ideal gas law includes volume as a variable, and a larger volume results in a larger value for temperature, thus requiring more heat.

What is the relationship between pressure and the amount of heat needed for compressed gas to become a gas again?

The relationship between pressure and the amount of heat needed for compressed gas to become a gas again is also directly proportional. As the pressure of the gas increases, the amount of heat required also increases. This is because an increase in pressure results in an increase in temperature according to the ideal gas law, and a higher temperature requires more heat to reach it.

How does the type of gas affect the calculation of heat required for it to become a gas again?

The type of gas does not affect the calculation of heat required for it to become a gas again. The ideal gas law is applicable to all gases, regardless of their type. However, the specific heat capacity of each gas may vary, which would affect the amount of heat required to reach a certain temperature. This information can be found in a reference table and can be used in the calculation.

Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating the heat required for compressed gas to become a gas again?

There are other factors that may affect the calculation of heat required for compressed gas to become a gas again. These include any non-ideal behaviors of the gas, such as intermolecular forces, and any heat loss to the surroundings during the process. These factors may result in a slightly different amount of heat required than what is calculated using the ideal gas law.