1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding gases

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    I dont know what to research or where to start but I would like to know much energy a compressed gas a requires to turn back into a gas if it is a liquid. Is there a term I should research and a formula like with specific heat?

The problem I am trying to solve is how much heat does X units of say freon for example absorb from the air when it goes to stap (? 14.7 psi).

Its been a while since I have been out of grade 10 physics so excuse my stupidity....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are looking at a phase change between gas and liquid you should look at stuff like 'latent heat' and 'heat of vaporization'.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    Thanks I have read a bit but am still stuck... Where do I start?

I want to see how much freon needs to change state from liquid to gas to absorb about 22kJ of energy....

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Keep looking, I'm finding values like 150kJ/kg for the latent heat. So how much to do 22kJ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?