1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experiment to find factor that affect acceleration How to get mass and force separat?

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1
    1. I have to make an experiment which shows how mass and force affect acceleration. I have done an experiment for force(I have changed slope and rolled down a ball). Now Im not quite sure what to do for mass since mass is part of force! Is there a way that u can separate these 2?

p.s: btw how is (mu) in the equation:a=g[sinA-(mu)(cosA)] calculated?

2. F=ma,A=f/m,

3. My theory is that mass isnt even effecting acceleration in this experiment. a=(m.a)/m, to find acceleration, we are only dividing f by mass. Interestingly, f=ma, so mass does nothing to acceleration, it is multiplied and then divided, it kinda cancels out. Anyhow, there is a high chance that im wrong, maybe mass is included in this equation "g[sinA-(mu)(cosA)] calculated?" and thats how it affects acceleration?!? A good analysis of the situation would be really appreciated! Thnx

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2
    Re: Experiment to find factor that affect acceleration How to get mass and force sepa

Mass definitely affects acceleration. As you stated, A = f/m. What happens to the acceleration if you keep force the same, but increase the mass?

(mu) is used as the coefficient of friction. For two given surfaces, the coefficient of friction is generally found by experimentation. Typically, one surface of an object of known mass is placed on top of the other surface (both surfaces are horizontal). The object is then pulled (horizontally applied force) to determine how much force is needed to (1) Find the minimum force to start the object in motion (static friction) and (2) keep the object in motion at a constant velocity (kinetic friction).

When setting up your experiment, you should pay careful attention to dependent and independent variables. The way you described it, you seem to be testing with a constant acceleration (gravity), which might not be what you want. Think of ways that you can apply different forces to an object of a fixed mass and measure the acceleration. Then think of ways that you can apply a fixed force to objects of different masses and measure the acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?