Expert Integration Help: Simplifying \frac{1}{(1+sinx)} in Minutes

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to integrating a trigonometric function with a trigonometric function in the denominator. The first suggestion is to multiply the numerator and denominator by (1-sin(x)) and then split the integral into two parts. Another approach is to use the substitution u = tan(x/2) and apply trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand. The final result is tanx - secx + c.
gona
Integrating [tex]\frac{1}{(1+sinx)}[/tex]

i just started learning Integration last week so not exactly sure how to approch this type of question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to integrate 1/sinx?

no this is the first time i have seen where a trigonometric function is on the denominator

but now that i think about it

sinx = [tex]\sqrt{1-cos^2x}[/tex]
and arcsin was equal to [tex]\frac{1}{((1-x^2)}[/tex]

so i guess i could use the U substituition method
and then the answer would be...arcsin(cosx)? I am not too sure

Last edited:
No, no arcsin. But you might want to try multiplying numerator and denominator by (1-sin(x)). It may look more familiar.

Last edited:
You could also try the subsitution u = tan(x/2). It looks a little messy but everything cancels out.

well I am not sure if I am doing the right thing but here goes...

sinx = [tex]\frac{2tan(\frac{x}{2})}{1+tan^{2}(\frac{x}{2})}[/tex]

soo then i symplify the equation so that it is

[tex]\frac{1+tan^{2}(\frac{x}{2})}{1+tan^{2}(\frac{x}{2})+2tan(\frac{x}{2})}[/tex]

the i used u = tan[tex](\frac{x}{2})[/tex]

so i get [tex]\frac{1+u^{2}}{(u+1)^{2}}[/tex]

What should i do from here or is this the right way at all?

It looks to me like you are taking the long way around. Try multiplying numerator and denominator of your original problem by (1-sin(x)). You get (1-sinx)/cos^2(x). If you split that into two integrals you shouldn't have any problem with either of them.

Dick solution is quicker in this case but to integrate things like
1/(1+cosx+sinx) the substitution u=tan(x/2) is good.
But notice that it isn't x = tan(u/2) but rather u=tan(x/2). In order to get this into something the the example I gave you can show with so trig identities that if u=tan(x/2) then:
dx = 2du/(1+u^2)
sinx = 2u/(1+u^2)
cosx = (1-u^2)/(1+u^2)
If you substitue all that you the (1+u^2)s candel out and you get some rational function which you can solve with the typical rational function method (breaking it into elementry functions...)

wow by the way i got the answer using what dick said its actually pretty easy once u break it up...now I am going to try Daniels question going to see if i can get those now :) thnx a lot for the help by the way
the answe was tanx - secx +c

1. How can I simplify the expression \frac{1}{(1+sinx)} in minutes?

The easiest way to simplify this expression is by using the trigonometric identity sin2x + cos2x = 1. By rearranging the expression, we get \frac{1}{1+sinx} = \frac{cosx}{(1+sinx)(cosx)} = \frac{cosx}{cosx+sinxcosx} = \frac{cosx}{cosx+sinx}. This simplified expression can be obtained in just a few minutes.

2. Why is it important to simplify this expression?

Simplifying an expression can help us better understand its underlying mathematical concept. In this case, simplifying \frac{1}{(1+sinx)} to \frac{cosx}{cosx+sinx} can help us see the relationship between sine and cosine functions and how they can be combined to create a simpler expression.

3. Can I use other trigonometric identities to simplify this expression?

Yes, there are other trigonometric identities that can be used to simplify this expression. For example, you can use the identity sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB to rewrite 1+sinx as sinx+cosxsinx = sinx(1+cosx). You can then cancel out the sinx term to obtain the simplified expression \frac{1}{cosx+1}.

4. Are there any other methods for simplifying this expression?

Yes, there are other methods for simplifying this expression, such as using the double angle formula sin2x = 2sinxcosx. By substituting 2sinxcosx for sin2x, we can rewrite the expression as \frac{1}{(1+2sinxcosx)}. This can then be simplified further using the identity 1+2sinxcosx = (1+cos2x), resulting in the expression \frac{1}{(1+cos2x)}.

5. Can I use a calculator to simplify this expression?

While a calculator can give you the decimal approximation of this expression, it is important to understand the concepts behind simplification and the underlying trigonometric identities. Using a calculator may not always provide the most simplified form of the expression, so it is best to know how to simplify it manually.