Exploring the Potential X-Ray Emissions of Neon Signs

In summary, a conventional neon sign does not emit x-rays that could be harmful. They may emit some x-rays due to high voltage, but they are not an efficient source. Being near the sign for long periods of time may cause some harm, but the exact amount and level of harm is uncertain and could lead to legal liability. It is best to close the discussion on this topic for now.
Trifux
Hello guys. I'm interested about wether or not a conventional neon sign such as this one could emit xray that could be harmful.

Thanks a lot :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The last thing you have to worry about with a neon light is holding your hand up to it and seeing the skeleton inside, @Trifux. They don't generate photons in the x-ray range, as this explainer notes:

1652962356312.png

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/howneonlampswork.html

Neon signs emit x-rays, as does most everything operating at high voltage. They are not, however, a particularly efficient source of x-rays;

Thanks guys. So could it be harmful to be near the neon sign I posted for long periods of time every day?

How near is near? How long is long? How harmful is harmful?

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and Bystander
This sign that you can see in the picture is just below my office window so I'm basically sitting like 8h a day at about 2 meters away from the sign which is functioning the whole day. Just curious if this can cause any harm of any kind because of the long exposure.

Then I will not answer that question, because it's a legal liability question.

Probably best to close this thread here. As with all thread closures, we can reopen it if the closing is premature and there is more to say - just PM any mentor to ask.

1. Do neon signs emit x-rays?

Yes, neon signs do emit x-rays. However, the amount of x-rays emitted is very small and is not harmful to humans.

2. Are neon signs dangerous because of the x-rays they emit?

No, neon signs are not dangerous because of the x-rays they emit. The amount of x-rays is minimal and poses no harm to humans.

3. How do neon signs emit x-rays?

Neon signs emit x-rays through a process called ionization. When electricity is passed through the neon gas in the sign, it causes the gas molecules to become ionized, which produces the x-rays.

4. Can the x-rays emitted by neon signs be harmful to electronics?

No, the amount of x-rays emitted by neon signs is not strong enough to damage electronics.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken with neon signs and their x-rays?

While the x-rays emitted by neon signs are not harmful, it is always a good idea to follow safety precautions such as not touching the sign or standing too close to it for extended periods of time. Additionally, regularly maintaining and inspecting the sign can help ensure that it is functioning properly and not emitting excessive amounts of x-rays.