Exponential Integral (Possibly integration by parts)

In summary: Let u = 1-k*exp(alpha*t). Then, du = -k*alpha*exp(alpha*t). Substituting this into the integral, we get:\int(1/(1-k*exp(alpha*t))) dt = \int(1/u) * (-1/(k*alpha)) * du = (-1/(k*alpha)) * ln(u) + CSubstituting back in u = 1-k*exp(alpha*t), we get:\int(1/(1-k*exp(alpha*t))) dt = (-1/(k*alpha)) *
staceybiomed

Homework Statement

Integrate the following equation for average energy from -infinity to infinity
[tex]\int(c*x^4)*(e^(-c*x^4)/KT)dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

c, K, T are constants
[tex]\int(e^(-c*x^4/KT))[/tex] = (KT/c)^(1/4)*(2[tex]\Gamma[/tex](5/4))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using integration by parts [tex]\intu dv[/tex] = uv - [tex]\intv du[/tex] but either way i do (with u as the exponential term and dv = cx^4 dx or the other way around), i can't seem to get the answer. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
might want to repost this in a simpler form without all the constants and then add those back in later, also your exponents are kinda messed up I'm guessing you wanted:

[tex]
\int(c*x^4)*(e^{(-c*x^4)/KT})dx
[/tex]

subsitute t = c*x^4/KT and use the definition of the gamma function [tex] \Gamma(x) = \int t^{x-1} e^t dt [/tex]

weejee said:
subsitute t = c*x^4/KT and use the definition of the gamma function [tex] \Gamma(x) = \int t^{x-1} e^t dt [/tex]

thanks - i will give this a try!

Hi all

I would like to integrate

the integrale from o to t of (1/(1-k*exp(alpha*t))) dt where alpha and k are constant. I tried integration by part but it didnt work :s. Any help is much appreciated.

S

What is an Exponential Integral?

An Exponential Integral is a mathematical function that represents the integral of an exponential function. It is a special type of integral that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

What is the purpose of using Exponential Integrals?

Exponential Integrals are used to simplify complex integrals and solve differential equations involving exponential functions. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and statistics.

How is integration by parts used in computing Exponential Integrals?

Integration by parts is a common method used to compute Exponential Integrals. It involves breaking down the integral into two parts and using a formula to simplify the integration process.

What are the properties of Exponential Integrals?

Some properties of Exponential Integrals include linearity, which allows for the integration of linear combinations of exponential functions, and recursivity, which allows for the computation of integrals with higher powers of the exponential function.

Are there any real-world applications of Exponential Integrals?

Yes, Exponential Integrals have many real-world applications, such as in physics for modeling radioactive decay and in finance for calculating compound interest. They are also used in signal processing and probability theory.