1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Integral (Possibly integration by parts)

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate the following equation for average energy from -infinity to infinity
    [tex]\int(c*x^4)*(e^(-c*x^4)/KT)dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    c, K, T are constants
    [tex]\int(e^(-c*x^4/KT))[/tex] = (KT/c)^(1/4)*(2[tex]\Gamma[/tex](5/4))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using integration by parts [tex]\intu dv[/tex] = uv - [tex]\intv du[/tex] but either way i do (with u as the exponential term and dv = cx^4 dx or the other way around), i can't seem to get the answer. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    might want to repost this in a simpler form without all the constants and then add those back in later, also your exponents are kinda messed up I'm guessing you wanted:

[tex]
    \int(c*x^4)*(e^{(-c*x^4)/KT})dx
    [/tex]

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3
    subsitute t = c*x^4/KT and use the definition of the gamma function [tex] \Gamma(x) = \int t^{x-1} e^t dt [/tex]

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4
    thanks - i will give this a try!

6. Apr 11, 2011 #5
    Hi all

I would like to integrate

the integrale from o to t of (1/(1-k*exp(alpha*t))) dt where alpha and k are constant. I tried integration by part but it didnt work :s. Any help is much appreciated.

S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?