1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponents and logarithms

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the following equation: 2^3+2^3+2^3+2^3=2^x

2. Relevant equations
    log(a)^x=x*log(a)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What i attempted was to log both sides, bring down the exponents, and summarize them. This left me with 12*log(2)=x*log(2). I then divide both sides by log(2) and get x=12, which is wrong. Please note that all of this was with logarithms with base number 10.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

Where did you get your relevant equation ? It's dead (*) wrong, but visually close to the right one: ##\log (a^x) = x \log a##.

Taking logarithms of a sum is generally a bad idea. For a product you are better off. So make a product of the lefthand side.
    And look at that. Maybe you don't need to take logarithms, but you might be able to use a simpler equation about exponentiation.

PS the term "summarizing" isn't all that mathematically sound.... "sum" is what you mean. But you can't do that.

(*) [edit] well, dangerous is a better expression. It raises confusion between ##(\log a)^x## and ##(\log (a^x))##

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can see no reason to use logarithms. You are just trying to find x such that [itex]2^x= 32[/itex]. That should be elementary.

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

I second what BvU says. If this is an exercise of the properties of exponents, you should notice that 2^3 is a repeated sum...how many times is it repeated?
    Rewrite it as a coefficient times 2^3, then write your coefficient as a power of 2.
    Now, you will be able to use properties of exponents to quickly solve for x.

Otherwise, just add 8+8+8+8 and do what HallsofIvy suggested.

And if you are really feeling like using logarithms ... use log base 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted