F=ma Physics Olympiad Exam question 19: Constant power

In summary, the conversation is discussing the acceleration of a car with a constant power engine. The car starts from rest at t = 0 and accelerates to a speed of a0 at t = t0. The question is asking for the acceleration at t = 2t0, assuming no energy loss due to friction. The suggested equations to use are P=W/t, W=Fd, F=ma, and P= (Kinetic energy)/Time. The conversation also suggests to think about what is constant and to equate constant values.
jerrylinew

Homework Statement

A car has an engine which delivers a constant power. It accelerates from rest at time t = 0, and at t = t0 its acceleration is a0. What is its acceleration at t = 2t0? Ignore energy loss due to friction.

Homework Equations

P=W/t, W=Fd, F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

substitute the last two equations into the first equation to get P=m*a*d/t=constant. m is always constant, so a*d/t = constant. I don't know what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try also to use

P = (Kinetic energy)/Time

and see where that gets you.

you should try and think what is constant and then try to apply that here.

try to equate constant values .

P=f*v=ma*v
Try differentiating this and see what you get (don't forget the product rule)

Moderator's note:

Now that the OP has been given several hints, I urge people to refrain from giving further help until the OP responds.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Related to F=ma Physics Olympiad Exam question 19: Constant power

1. What is the formula for F=ma?

The formula for F=ma is used to calculate force, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. It is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

2. What is the significance of constant power in this question?

In this question, constant power refers to the amount of energy transferred per unit time. This is important because it allows us to determine the rate at which work is being done on an object and how that affects its acceleration.

3. How do I solve for acceleration in this question?

To solve for acceleration, you can use the formula a = F/m, where F is the force acting on the object and m is its mass. In this question, you will also need to consider the constant power and how it affects the acceleration.

4. Can you provide an example of how to use F=ma in a physics olympiad exam question?

Sure! An example of using F=ma in a physics olympiad exam question could be finding the acceleration of a car that has a mass of 1000 kg and is being pushed with a constant force of 500 N. Using the formula a = F/m, we can calculate the acceleration to be 0.5 m/s².

5. How can I improve my understanding of F=ma and its applications?

To improve your understanding of F=ma, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the formula in different scenarios. You can also read about Newton's laws of motion and how they relate to F=ma, as well as watch educational videos or attend workshops on the topic.