Fast way to find system poles?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the poles of a system without using a calculator. The quadratic formula is mentioned as the main method, but there is mention of halving the b term in the quadratic equation to find the real component of the roots. However, it is noted that this method may not be completely accurate and the sign of the real part would also need to be changed. The importance of the real component of the poles is also mentioned.
Maxwell
Hey, I was wondering if there is a fast way to find the poles of a system - not using a calculator.

For example,

[tex]G(s) = \frac {30}{(s^2 + 6s + 20)(s + 2)(s + 13)}[/tex]

I know two poles right off the bat: -2 and -13, but is there a way to get the poles from the quadratic quickly? Besides the using the quadratic equation, I mean.

I don't think there is, but for some reason I thought I saw someone taking the "b" term, in this example 6s, and halving it. So the pole would be 3. I don't think this is right, is it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a really long time since doing controls work for me. However, other than the quadratic formula, your idea of halving the b term seemed to give you the real component of the roots (they are complex roots). You would have to change the sign on the real part as well.

Well for what I am interested in, I only need the real term. The imaginary part doesn't play a role in figuring out if a system has dominant poles.

Thank you for answering, this will save me much time. :smile:

1. What is the significance of finding system poles quickly?

Finding system poles quickly is important because it allows for a faster understanding and analysis of a system's behavior. This can lead to more efficient problem-solving and decision-making in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is the fast method of finding system poles different from traditional methods?

The fast method of finding system poles typically involves using computational algorithms and software, which can quickly and accurately calculate the poles of a system. Traditional methods often involve manual calculations, which can be time-consuming and prone to human error.

3. Can the fast method be used for all types of systems?

Yes, the fast method for finding system poles can be applied to a wide range of systems, including linear and non-linear systems, time-invariant and time-varying systems, and continuous and discrete systems.

4. Are there any limitations to the fast method of finding system poles?

While the fast method is generally more efficient, it may not provide as much insight into the system's behavior compared to traditional methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by factors such as the complexity of the system and the precision of the computational tools used.

5. How can I learn to use the fast method for finding system poles?

There are various online resources and courses available that teach the fast method for finding system poles. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with computational tools and algorithms used in the process can also be helpful. Practicing on simple systems can also help in gaining a better understanding of the method.