Field Magnitude and force question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric field magnitude and how it varies with distance between field lines. It is stated that the field magnitude remains constant along an equipotential surface, but the direction of the vector may vary. The concept of vector fields and field lines is also mentioned as a helpful resource.
crh

Homework Statement

I am needing help with just a conceptual question. I am wondering how the field magnitude varies with the distance between the field lines and if it remains constant along a line of force.

Homework Equations

I don't think I use an equation. Maybe Coulomb's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not for sure how to solve it so I don't know a solution I guess. I think though that the field magnitude is constant if the charges are kept the same. Am I on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
crh said:

Homework Statement

I am needing help with just a conceptual question. I am wondering how the field magnitude varies with the distance between the field lines and if it remains constant along a line of force.

Homework Equations

I don't think I use an equation. Maybe Coulomb's equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not for sure how to solve it so I don't know a solution I guess. I think though that the field magnitude is constant if the charges are kept the same. Am I on the right path?

Welcome to PF.

The E-field in Coulomb's law is a vector field. I think you should examine the equation to understand how that magnitude calculation is affected by the principle variable r if you are holding q constant. Equipotential lines then refer to the equal magnitudes, but not necessarily the same identical direction at each point along an equipotential. For instance the equipotential lines of a point charge would be spherical concentric shells of equal magnitude in 3 space, with direction determined by the direction to the point charge.

I guess I am just not understanding. Can you help explain it to me. For one I didn't think that the magnitude changes with distance. I thought it all depended on the amount of charge on a point. This means that if the charges stay the same that it does remain constant along a line of force. Right? Can you explain if I am wrong. Thanks!

crh said:
I guess I am just not understanding. Can you help explain it to me. For one I didn't think that the magnitude changes with distance. I thought it all depended on the amount of charge on a point. This means that if the charges stay the same that it does remain constant along a line of force. Right? Can you explain if I am wrong. Thanks!

The magnitude of an electric field will remain the same along an equipotential surface, which for a point charge will be across the surface of a sphere or radius r. For the point charge, the vector direction is guaranteed to be different as it points toward the point charge. (The same as with the electric field having a vector associated with its magnitude.)

Here is a link to a discussion about vector fields:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_field

Thanks!:-p

FAQ: Field Magnitude and force question

1. What is the difference between field magnitude and force?

Field magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of a field, such as an electric or magnetic field. Force, on the other hand, is a physical interaction between two objects that causes a change in motion. While field magnitude can influence the force experienced by an object, they are not the same thing.

2. How is field magnitude measured?

Field magnitude is typically measured using a unit called tesla (T) for magnetic fields and newton per coulomb (N/C) for electric fields. These measurements can be taken using specialized instruments such as a teslameter or an electroscope.

3. What factors affect the field magnitude?

The field magnitude can be affected by several factors, including the distance from the source of the field, the strength of the source, and the type of material the field is passing through. For example, the strength of an electric field decreases as distance from the source increases, while the strength of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the current producing it.

4. How does field magnitude impact the behavior of objects?

The field magnitude can impact the behavior of objects by exerting a force on them. For example, in an electric field, a charged object will experience a force in the direction of the field. In a magnetic field, a moving charged particle will experience a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the direction of the field.

5. How is field magnitude used in practical applications?

The understanding and manipulation of field magnitude is crucial in many practical applications. For instance, electric and magnetic fields are used in generators and motors to produce electricity and power devices. In medical imaging, magnetic fields are used to create detailed images of the body. Additionally, field magnitude is used in navigation systems, such as compasses and GPS, to determine direction and location.