Find Net Couple with P=0 | Magnitude & Direction of Axis

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple Net
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of a single equivalent couple to replace two remaining couples in a given problem. The attempt at a solution involves determining the individual components of forces applied at various points and taking moments about the origin to calculate the magnitude of the equivalent couple. There is a discrepancy with the calculated magnitude, and a question is raised about the accuracy of the given angle DEF.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If P=0, replace the two remaining couples with a single equivalent couple, specifying its magnitude and the direction of its axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

Position vector of B(rb)=0.3i
Similarly, rd=0.16j+0.17k

∠GCF=atan(16/30)=28.07°
∠DEF=atan(DF/FE)=45°
Then I tried to resolve the forces into its individual components. For 34N force applied at B, in vector form,

[itex]34 \cos 28.07 \hat{i}-34 \sin 28.07 \hat{j}-34 \cos 45 \hat{k} [/itex]
For the other force at B, I can write -18k.
At D, [itex]-34 \cos 28.07 \hat{i}+34 \sin 28.07 \hat{j}+34 \cos 45 \hat{k} [/itex]

Now I take moments of all the above forces about the origin which gives me
1.13i + 7.51j

the magnitude of which is given by [itex]\sqrt{1.13^2+7.51^2} = 7.59[/itex]

which is incorrect according to answer key.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 795
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure angle DEF is 45 degrees? It doesn't look it from the figure.

You calculated the components of the 34 N force incorrectly. The 34 N forces are parallel to the vector connecting D and E or F and B. Find the direction of those vectors from the coordinates of the points. Multiply the magnitude of the force with the unit vector in the appropriate direction. ehild

Related to Find Net Couple with P=0 | Magnitude & Direction of Axis

1. What is a net couple?

A net couple is a pair of equal and opposite forces that are not in the same line of action, resulting in a rotational motion.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a net couple?

The magnitude of a net couple is equal to the product of one of the forces and the distance between the forces.

3. How do you find the direction of a net couple?

The direction of a net couple can be determined by the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of rotation and the thumb points in the direction of the net couple.

4. What is the significance of the axis in finding the net couple?

The axis is the point around which the rotational motion occurs. It is important to consider the axis when finding the net couple as it affects the direction and magnitude of the resulting rotational motion.

5. How does a net couple differ from a single force?

A single force results in a translational motion, while a net couple results in a rotational motion. Additionally, a single force must be applied at a specific point, while a net couple can be applied at any point along the line of action.