Find the Electric Field strength

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of electric field in a copper cable carrying a 50A current with a radius of 0.003m and a resistivity of 1.7x10^-8 Ohm/m. The formula for current density and Ohm's law are used to solve the problem. The work energy theorem is also mentioned, but it is unclear if it is applicable in this scenario.
Zorba

Homework Statement

"A copper cable carrying 50A current has radius 0.003m. What is the electric field if copper has a resistivity of 1.7x10^-8 Ohm/m?"

Homework Equations

Formula for current density etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I write:
[tex]\vec{\mathbf{J}} = n|q|v_d = \frac{I}{A}[/tex]

And then:
[tex]\vec{\mathbf{J}} \cdot \rho = \frac{I}{A} \cdot \frac{RA}{L} = \frac{V}{L}[/tex]

And now do I just apply the work energy theorem?:
[tex] \int \vec{\mathbf{E}} \cdot d\vec{\mathbf{l}} = \Delta V_{ab}[/tex]

It kind of feels as though I'm completely off tbh...

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ohm's law [itex]\mathbf{J}=\sigma \mathbf{E}[/itex].

FAQ: Find the Electric Field strength

What is the concept of electric field strength?

The electric field strength is a measure of the force exerted on a unit charge by an electric field. It is a vector quantity and is represented by the symbol E.

How is electric field strength calculated?

The electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the charge.

What is the SI unit for electric field strength?

The SI unit for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This means that for every coulomb of charge, there is a force of one newton acting on it.

How does distance affect electric field strength?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the electric field strength decreases.

What is the significance of electric field strength in practical applications?

Electric field strength plays a crucial role in many practical applications, including electrical engineering, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It helps determine the direction and magnitude of electric forces between charged particles, which is essential in understanding and designing electrical devices.