Find the length of the side of a cube of iron

In summary, Iron has a property that a 1.00m^3 volume has a mass of 7.86 X 10^3kg(density equals 7.86 X 10^3kg/m^3). You want to manufacture iron into cubes and spheres.
CellCoree
Iron has a property such that a 1.00m^3 volume has a mass of 7.86 X 10^3kg(density equals 7.86 X 10^3kg/m^3). You want to manufacture iron into cubes and spheres.

1.) Find the length of the side of a cube of iron that has a mass of 480 g.

2.) Find the radius of a solid sphere of iron that has a mass of 480 g.

please help me with these two questions, i attend class everyday and take notes, but i don't remeber the teacher talking about this type of question at all. i really want to learn how to do these questions. thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You already seem to know that density is mass/volume. So volume is mass/density.

You have two types of object with different volumes. The volume of a cube is Length^3
and the volume of a sphere is Pi(R^2).

Bearing these in mind you should be able to rearrange and solve for L and R.

Hope it helps. Incidently do you know what the answer should be?

Beer-monster said:
and the volume of a sphere is Pi(R^2).

The volume of a sphere is [itex]\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3[/itex] with R the sphere's radius.

Okay feeling a bit stupid now :yuck:

That's what I meant to say, only my brain wasn't co-operating. Sorry about that, my bad. :biggrin:

ok I am still confuse, but let me try. ok for the first question, V=L^3 right? so...
V= 7.86 X 10^3kg and L isn't defined? where does the 480 g come in?

You can set this up as a ratio then apply the answer to your volume equations like so:

[tex]
\frac{7.86\times 10^3kg}{1m^3}=\frac{0.480kg}{x}
[/tex]

Solving for x gives a volume. Since you now know the volume, and have volume equations for the sphere and the cube you should be able to solve for the length and the radius.

[edit] The reason you can do this is because the 7.86 is the density of iron, which is a ratio of mass:volume. The size of the iron object will not effect the density of iron, so the ratio of mass:volume will be the same.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
let me show you what i done.

cross multiply, so i get 7.86000kgx=0.480kg
x=.0610687 <-- is that the volume?

that doesn't look right, i know I am doing it incorrectly. why did you convert 480g to .480? and what should i do with 1m^3? am i suppose to do unit conversions first? I am sorry, I am totally lost

How many grams are in 1 kilogram? Next what do you do with the m^3? You keep it becasue m^3 is a volume. Next, [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{-5}m^3[/itex] You need to watch the notation.

We know [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{-5}m^3=V[/itex] and V=L^3 solve for L. You should get a ball park number of 4'ish cm (convert m to cm).

To get L divide the mass 480g by the density and cube root what you get.

Do something similar for part b) but with the equation for a volume of a sphere

faust9 said:
How many grams are in 1 kilogram? Next what do you do with the m^3? You keep it becasue m^3 is a volume. Next, [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{-5}m^3[/itex] You need to watch the notation.

We know [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{-5}m^3=V[/itex] and V=L^3 solve for L. You should get a ball park number of 4'ish cm (convert m to cm).

i got x=.0610687 when trying to find the volume. so shouldn't it be [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{5}m^3=V[/itex] instead of [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{-5}m^3=V[/itex]?

cause [itex]x=6.11\times 10^{-5}m^3=V[/itex] =.0000611 right?

so...V=.0610687 = L^3
[tex]L=\sqrt[3]{.0610687}[/tex]
L = .3937974428 m^3 <-- that doesn't seem to convert to around 4cm. what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
You are told that the density of iron is 7.86 X 103kg/m3. You are also told that you have 480 g= 0.48 kg of iron. To convert from kg to m2, you need to cancel that "kg" so you need "kg" in the denominator and you need to get m3 into the numerator: INVERT 7.86x 103 kg/ m3: that is, divide 0.48 kg by 7.86x 103 kg/m3 to get 0.06107 x 10-3 m3 (did you forget the "10-3 in your solution) = 6.107x10-5 m3.
What must x be in order that x3= 6.107 x 10-5?

For part b, solve the equation [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3= 6.107x10^{-5}.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you everyone for the help, i finally get it! sorry for all the questions

CellCoree said:
thank you everyone for the help, i finally get it! sorry for all the questions

You don't need to say sorry. after all, they really wanted to help and that was why they were writing all these stuffs. am i right ? i hope so ...

does anyone know the answer?

1.) 3.94 cm
2.) 2.44 cm

where are you from? are you doing the same homework as i am? if so, maybe we can help each other out.

1. How do you find the length of the side of a cube of iron?

The length of the side of a cube of iron can be found by taking the cube root of the volume of the cube. This can be calculated by dividing the total volume of the cube by 6, since all sides of a cube are equal in length.

2. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cube of iron?

The formula for finding the volume of a cube is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side of the cube. Therefore, the formula for finding the volume of a cube of iron would be V = (length of side)^3.

3. Can you use any unit of measurement to find the length of the side of a cube of iron?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as it is consistent for all measurements. For example, if the volume of the cube is given in cubic meters, then the length of the side should also be measured in meters.

4. How accurate will the measurement of the length of the side of a cube of iron be?

The accuracy of the measurement will depend on the precision of the measurements used to calculate the volume of the cube. The more precise the measurements, the more accurate the length of the side will be. However, there may still be a margin of error due to factors such as human error or slight variations in the density of the iron.

5. Can you find the length of the side of a cube of iron using only one measurement?

No, in order to find the length of the side of a cube of iron, you will need at least two measurements - the volume of the cube and the number of sides (which is 6 for a cube). Without both of these measurements, it is not possible to accurately determine the length of the side of the cube.