1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the maximum volume of the cylinder

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1

Gold Member

A cylinder is placed into a right cone which has a radius of 1m and a height of 2m. Find the maximum volume of the cylinder.

I think i am able to do it, but im not 100% sure if im correct. I first used similar triangles to write the radius of the cone at any height from its apex. i came up with h=2r.

Now, if i let the radius of the cylinder be R, then the height that it rests at is 2R. Since the cone is 2m high, the height of the cylinder will be 2-2R.

The volume is given by [tex]V = \pi R^2 (2 - 2R)[/tex], which i used calculus to maximize and came up with R=2/3, therefore V=~0.93. Does that look right?

Thanks in advance,
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks fine. Kind of a confusing double use of 'height' though. I'd use another word for the apex distance if I were describing it.
  4. Nov 9, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Alright thanks for confirming that :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?