Find the maximum volume of the cylinder

In summary, in order to find the maximum volume of a cylinder placed inside a right cone with a radius of 1m and a height of 2m, the height of the cylinder should be 2-2R where R is the radius of the cylinder. Using calculus, the maximum volume can be found to be approximately 0.93. The use of "height" for both the apex distance and the height of the cylinder may be confusing and another word could be used to clarify.
danago
Gold Member
A cylinder is placed into a right cone which has a radius of 1m and a height of 2m. Find the maximum volume of the cylinder.

I think i am able to do it, but I am not 100% sure if I am correct. I first used similar triangles to write the radius of the cone at any height from its apex. i came up with h=2r.

Now, if i let the radius of the cylinder be R, then the height that it rests at is 2R. Since the cone is 2m high, the height of the cylinder will be 2-2R.

The volume is given by [tex]V = \pi R^2 (2 - 2R)[/tex], which i used calculus to maximize and came up with R=2/3, therefore V=~0.93. Does that look right?

Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine. Kind of a confusing double use of 'height' though. I'd use another word for the apex distance if I were describing it.

Alright thanks for confirming that :smile:

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

What is the maximum volume of a cylinder?

The maximum volume of a cylinder can be found by maximizing the height or radius of the cylinder within a given constraint, such as a fixed surface area or volume. It can also be found by taking the derivative of the volume formula and setting it to 0 to find the critical point.

Can the maximum volume of a cylinder be infinite?

No, the maximum volume of a cylinder can never be infinite as it is bound by physical constraints such as the maximum height and radius that can be achieved.

How can the maximum volume of a cylinder be applied in real life?

The maximum volume of a cylinder can be applied in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. It can be used to optimize the design of cylindrical structures, such as storage tanks or pipes, to maximize their storage capacity while minimizing material usage and costs.

What factors affect the maximum volume of a cylinder?

The maximum volume of a cylinder is affected by the dimensions of the cylinder, such as its height and radius, as well as any constraints imposed on these dimensions. Other factors such as the material properties of the cylinder and its surroundings may also influence the maximum volume that can be achieved.