Find the pressure of the elements.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the pressure of ether and chloroform in a compound that evaporates in a container at a specific temperature. The equation pV=nRT is mentioned and the concept of partial pressure is suggested to be used in solving the problem.
MaiteB

Homework Statement

A compound of ether (0.287 g) and chloroform (0.568 g) evaporates in the temperature 373 K in an empty container with volume 0.0001m3. Find the pressure of each element. I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
MaiteB said:

Homework Statement

A compound of ether (0.287 g) and chloroform (0.568 g) evaporates in the temperature 373 K in an empty container with volume 0.0001m3. Find the pressure of each element. I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?
You can roll the dice and assume the problem is talking about diethyl ether, which is the compound commonly referred to when talking about "ether":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Like chloroform, ether was once used as an anesthetic.

SteamKing said:
You can roll the dice and assume the problem is talking about diethyl ether, which is the compound commonly referred to when talking about "ether":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Like chloroform, ether was once used as an anesthetic.
ok, but what should I do next?

Just treat each substance separately, as if there were no other present. That's how gases behave (and that's what partial pressures are about).

Related to Find the pressure of the elements.

1. What is the definition of pressure?

Pressure is the force exerted per unit area on an object or substance.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2) using a pressure gauge.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and the elements?

The pressure of elements can vary depending on their physical and chemical properties, such as their density, temperature, and volume. Some elements, like gases, can have varying pressures depending on their environment.

4. How does pressure affect the behavior of elements?

The pressure of elements can affect their phase, reactivity, and other physical and chemical properties. For example, an increase in pressure can cause gases to condense into liquids or solids, and can also influence the rate of chemical reactions.

5. What are some common techniques for determining the pressure of elements?

Some common techniques for determining the pressure of elements include using pressure gauges, manometers, barometers, and other specialized instruments. Additionally, computational methods such as density functional theory can also be used to estimate pressure in certain situations.