• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the pressure of the elements.

Homework Statement

A compound of ether (0.287 g) and chloroform (0.568 g) evaporates in the temperature 373 K in an empty container with volume 0.0001m3. Find the pressure of each element. I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A compound of ether (0.287 g) and chloroform (0.568 g) evaporates in the temperature 373 K in an empty container with volume 0.0001m3. Find the pressure of each element. I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?

Homework Equations

pV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know which formula of ether should I use since there are many. However even if I knew the n of moles for example n I would do these actions: pV=nRT. Since the T is the same: T=p1V1/n1R=p2V2/n2R=> 373=p1x/n1=p2(0.0001-x)/n2. What should I do next?
You can roll the dice and assume the problem is talking about diethyl ether, which is the compound commonly referred to when talking about "ether":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Like chloroform, ether was once used as an anesthetic.

You can roll the dice and assume the problem is talking about diethyl ether, which is the compound commonly referred to when talking about "ether":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Like chloroform, ether was once used as an anesthetic.
ok, but what should I do next?

Borek
Mentor
Just treat each substance separately, as if there were no other present. That's how gases behave (and that's what partial pressures are about).