Calculating Water Viscosity from Flow Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the viscosity of water using given equations and values for flow rate, height, length, radius, density, and gravity. The solution involves converting the flow rate from cm^3 s^{-1} to m^3 s^{-1}, and then solving for viscosity using the rearranged equations. The final value obtained for viscosity is 9.6*10^{-4}.
JosephL

Homework Statement

Find the viscosity of water given that;

flow rate ([tex]cm^3 s^{-1}[/tex]) = 2.0
height from tube (m) = 0.1

l (m) = 0.2
r (mm) = 1
[tex]\rho[/tex] = 1000
g = 9.81

Using the equations;

x = [tex]\frac{Flow Rate}{Height}[/tex]

x = [tex]\frac{\pi \rho gr^4}{8l\eta}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so first, and the most important bit I don't know if I'm doing right I convert the flow rate from [tex]cm^3 s^{-1}[/tex] to [tex]m^3 s^{-1}[/tex] by multiplying by [tex]10^{-6}[/tex]

So flow rate is now [tex]2 * 10^{-6} m^3 s^{-1}[/tex] ***I don't know if that bit is correct.***

Then x = [tex]\frac{2 * 10^{-6}}{0.1} = 2 * 10^{-5}[/tex]

and [tex]2 * 10^{-5} = \frac{\pi \rho gr^4}{8l\eta}[/tex]

After re-arranging and substituting I get;

[tex]\eta = 9.6*10^{-4}[/tex]------

If anyone could check my answer it would be greatly appreciated I haven't done physics for so long I've pretty much forgotten everything.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the exact same answer you got, using your data.

Hi there,

I can confirm that your approach and calculations are correct. You correctly converted the flow rate from cm^3 s^{-1} to m^3 s^{-1} and used the appropriate units for the other variables. Your final answer for the viscosity of water is also correct.

One suggestion I would make is to include the units in your final answer, which would be 9.6*10^{-4} Pa s. This will help to ensure that your answer is clear and complete.

Overall, great job on your calculations and good luck with your studies!

Related to Calculating Water Viscosity from Flow Rate

What is water viscosity and why is it important to calculate it?

Water viscosity refers to the resistance of water to flow. It is important to calculate it because it affects the movement and behavior of fluids, which can impact various processes and systems such as industrial processes, transportation, and environmental systems.

How is water viscosity related to flow rate?

Water viscosity is directly related to flow rate. The higher the viscosity, the slower the flow rate, and vice versa. This means that as water viscosity increases, it becomes more difficult for water to flow through a particular system or medium.

What are the units of measurement for water viscosity?

Water viscosity is typically measured in units of centipoise (cP) or millipascal seconds (mPa·s). Other common units include poise (P) and newton-seconds per square meter (N·s/m^2).

What factors affect the calculation of water viscosity from flow rate?

The calculation of water viscosity from flow rate is affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, and composition of the water. Additionally, the type of flow (e.g. laminar or turbulent) and the size and shape of the container or medium through which the water is flowing can also impact the calculation.

How is water viscosity from flow rate calculated?

The calculation of water viscosity from flow rate involves using either the Hagen-Poiseuille equation (for laminar flow) or the Darcy-Weisbach equation (for turbulent flow). These equations take into account the aforementioned factors and use known values such as the flow rate, pressure drop, and dimensions of the system to determine the water viscosity.