Finding amount of graphite in a Pencil

• Thread starter Manty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphite
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the percentage of graphite in a 2H pencil based on its electrical properties. The resistance and resistivity of the pencil are calculated using Ohm's law and the resistivity formula. The question of whether metallic paints are conductive is also raised. The goal of the experimentation is to determine the amount of graphite in the pencil.
Manty

Homework Statement

I have some information about a 2H pencil. There is a current of 0.008 amps and 3.8 volts going through the pencil. The length of the pencil was 16cm and the diameter of the core was 2mm. Calculate the percentage of graphite in the pencil.

Homework Equations

ohms law
V= I. R

resistivity
R=(ρ.L)/(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated the resistance to be 47.5 ohms, using ohms law.
i then substituted of my known values into the resistivity formula

R=47.5
A=3.14159E-06 meters squared
L=0.16meters

47.5 =(ρ.0.16)/(3.14159E-06 )
ρ=0.00093266 ohm meters

Is this correct so far?
Also what is the resistivity of graphite ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to assume there is a linear relationship kg/k = parts graphite, where k is the conductivity of your sample and kg the conductivity of graphite.

I'm fairly sure this is not the case for a mixture of two materials where the conductivity of the insulating material is small enough to be assumed zero.

Ask, "are metalic paints conductive?" I don't believe they commonly are, however there are paints containing silver metal, forumated specifically to conduct well.

Phrak said:
Ask, "are metalic paints conductive?" I don't believe they commonly are, however there are paints containing silver metal, forumated specifically to conduct well.
Just don't get pencils with metallic paints... simple

Just use those plain, boring, brown pencils... :tongue:

what must i do to get on the right track?

Manty said:
what must i do to get on the right track?

What is the goal of your experimenting?

To find the amount of graphite in the pencil

What is graphite and why is it important to determine its amount in a pencil?

Graphite is a form of carbon that is commonly used in pencils due to its ability to leave a mark on paper. It is important to determine its amount in a pencil because it affects the darkness and hardness of the pencil's mark.

How is the amount of graphite in a pencil measured?

The amount of graphite in a pencil is measured by its graphite-to-clay ratio. This is determined by weighing the pencil lead and then separating the graphite from the clay using acid. The remaining graphite is then weighed and compared to the initial weight of the pencil lead.

What is the average amount of graphite in a standard pencil?

The average amount of graphite in a standard pencil is around 20-25% of the total pencil weight. This percentage can vary depending on the desired darkness and hardness of the pencil's mark.

Why is it important to have a consistent amount of graphite in a pencil?

Having a consistent amount of graphite in a pencil ensures that the pencil will produce consistent marks. This is important for tasks that require precise and consistent writing or drawing.

Can the amount of graphite in a pencil affect its durability?

Yes, the amount of graphite in a pencil can affect its durability. Pencils with a higher graphite content tend to be softer and more prone to breaking, while pencils with a lower graphite content may be harder and more durable.