Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding density

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

OK, the problem says to find the molecular weight of NH3.

It is 17.03g/mol.

Next, you are supposed to find the density(in Kg/m^3) for the NH3.

I'm not sure how you do this part. I don't know if I have to convert or what.

I know the actual density is 0.771 kg/m^3.

2. Relevant equations

D=M/V

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

It's a gas, you can probably treat it with the properties of an ideal gas. Like so many mols of an ideal gas at STP has a certain volume....etc. Think ideal gas law.

Does that help?

4. Feb 26, 2007 #3
    Well kinda I guess.

I know my chemistry(a little)....but I'm just confused(or thinking too much).

I know that at STP....volume is 22.4 L

Temp is 273.15K
    Pressure is 1 atm
    n is usually 1 mole

So how does that relate to density though....do i just divide my mass by the 22.4?(I can't see the units working out)

5. Feb 26, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Small correction: at STP, the volume of an ideal gas is 22.4 L/mol. Liters are a way of expressing volume, right? So convert that to m^3. You already figured out the molecular mass per mol. Just look at the units (make sure everything is consistent).

6. Feb 26, 2007 #5
    ok......got that figured out.....thanks for your help. Came out to be .760kg/m^3.

7. Feb 26, 2007 #6

hage567

Homework Helper

Yeah, the 22.4 L/mol isn't exactly the same for all gases, so depending on where you got the accepted value it might vary a bit.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook