Finding remaining volume of water in a cylinder.

In summary: The key is to express the height of the plane as a function of x and then set up an integral in terms of x and integrate from 0 to 2. In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of water remaining in a cylindrical glass after it is tilted and half of the base is exposed. An integral can be used to find this volume by setting up the height of the water as a function of x and integrating over the interval 0 to 2.
Oalvarez
I have a problem for a written assignment in my calc 2 class involving the volume of a cylindrical glass.

A cylindrical drinking glass 10 in tall and 4 in in diameter is filled with water, and then tilted so that the water pours out until half the base is exposed. Write an integral to find the volume of the water remaining in the glass.
I know that the initial volume is going to be 40pi in3, but I really don't know where to go from there. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with related rates. However, the fact that I have to set up an integral makes me doubt that initial hunch. Thanks in advanced for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw the picture in 2D you should see a right triangle with height 10 and base 2. Changing to 3D, you will have a semi-circle at the base.
Consider integrating the area of the partial-circle over 0 to 10.

Oalvarez said:
I have a problem for a written assignment in my calc 2 class involving the volume of a cylindrical glass.

A cylindrical drinking glass 10 in tall and 4 in in diameter is filled with water, and then tilted so that the water pours out until half the base is exposed. Write an integral to find the volume of the water remaining in the glass.
I know that the initial volume is going to be 40pi in3, but I really don't know where to go from there. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with related rates. However, the fact that I have to set up an integral makes me doubt that initial hunch. Thanks in advanced for any help.

You are correct that it has nothing to do with related rates. I would draw a picture with the cylinder sitting above the origin in the xy plane. The surface of the water is then a slanted plane and you want the volume under the plane above the semicircle.

1. How do I find the remaining volume of water in a cylinder?

To find the remaining volume of water in a cylinder, you will need to know the total volume of the cylinder and the current volume of water inside the cylinder. You can then simply subtract the current volume from the total volume to determine the remaining volume.

2. What is the formula for finding the remaining volume of water in a cylinder?

The formula for finding the remaining volume of water in a cylinder is: Remaining Volume = Total Volume - Current Volume. This formula assumes that the cylinder is completely filled with water.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the remaining volume of any shape of container?

No, the formula for finding the remaining volume of water in a cylinder only applies to cylindrical containers. For other shapes of containers, you will need to use different formulas based on the shape of the container.

4. What units should I use for the volume measurements?

The units used for volume measurements should be consistent. For example, if the total volume of the cylinder is measured in liters, then the current volume should also be measured in liters. This will ensure accurate calculations.

5. Is it necessary to know the diameter or radius of the cylinder to find the remaining volume of water?

Yes, the diameter or radius of the cylinder is essential in determining the total volume of the cylinder. Without this information, it will not be possible to accurately calculate the remaining volume of water.