Finding the binding energy for lithium

In summary, the binding energy of lithium 3Li8 is -4.506e30 MeV. However, there may be errors in the calculation due to mixing units.
phys62

Homework Statement

Find the binding energy (in MeV) for lithium 3Li8 (atomic mass = 8.022486 u).

Homework Equations

Binding energy = (#p)(mass proton) + (#n)(mass neutron) - (mass nuclei*c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

mass proton = 1.007825
mass neutron = 1.008665
Binding energy = (3)(1.007825) + (5)(1.008665) - (8.022486*(3e8)^2)
Binding energy = -7.22e17 J x 1 eV/1.602e-19 J = -4.506e36 eV x 1e-6 MeV / 1 eV = -4.506e30 MeV

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units please. Also your formula for binding energy is wrong. Check the c2's.

Oops, sorry I know I typed the formula wrong on here, but I did it the correct way on my homework... It's still telling me my answer is incorrect. :/

mass proton = 1.007825
mass neutron = 1.008665

are atomic mass units (amu). Be careful about mixing units.

If one is using c = 3 x 108 m/s, then one must use atomic masses in kgs.

1. What is binding energy?

Binding energy is the energy required to separate the nucleus of an atom into its individual protons and neutrons. It is essentially the measure of the strength of the force that holds the nucleus together.

2. How is binding energy calculated?

The binding energy for an atom is calculated by subtracting the mass of its individual protons and neutrons from the mass of the nucleus. This difference in mass is then converted to energy using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

3. Why is finding the binding energy important for lithium?

Lithium is the lightest metal and has a relatively low binding energy compared to other elements. Understanding its binding energy can provide insight into the stability and reactivity of lithium in various chemical and nuclear reactions.

4. How is the binding energy for lithium measured?

The binding energy for lithium can be measured using various techniques such as mass spectrometry or nuclear reactions. These methods involve bombarding lithium atoms with high-energy particles and measuring the energy released during the breakup of the nucleus.

5. What factors can affect the binding energy of lithium?

The binding energy of lithium can be affected by the number of protons and neutrons in its nucleus, as well as the arrangement of these particles. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric or magnetic fields can also affect the binding energy of lithium.