Finding torque to life object at a certain acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a motor, a solid cylindrical drum, a massless rope, and a weight. The problem asks for the torque that the motor must apply in order to lift the weight with an acceleration of 1.1 m/s^2. The person asking for help attempted to use Newton's second law to find the force of tension, which was then multiplied by the radius of the drum to find the torque. However, they are having trouble getting the correct answer and are seeking further assistance.
bambam123

Homework Statement

A motor is connected to a solid cylindrical drum with a diameter of 1.2 m and a mass of 51 kg. A massless rope is attached to the drum and tied at the other end to a 38 \rm kg weight, so the rope will wind onto the drum as it turns.

What torque must the motor apply if the weight is to be lifted with an acceleration of 1.1 m/s^2

Homework Equations

i have no idea how to do this problem. Could somebody give a me a step by step walkthrough

The Attempt at a Solution

i first did Newtons second law for teh mass hanging. i found the force of tension. then i took the force of tension and multiplied it by radius of drum and i got the torque. but i keep getting the wrong answere

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ignore the rm after the 38

Welcome to Physics Forums.

bambam123 said:

Homework Equations

i have no idea how to do this problem. Could somebody give a me a step by step walkthrough
Sorry, but that is not how we give help here.

The Attempt at a Solution

i first did Newtons second law for teh mass hanging. i found the force of tension. then i took the force of tension and multiplied it by radius of drum and i got the torque. but i keep getting the wrong answere
Show us what you got for the tension and torque, and please show how you got it. Then we can provide help.

FAQ: Finding torque to life object at a certain acceleration

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is a combination of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you multiply the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is torque = force x distance.

What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The SI unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (N*m), but it can also be measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

How does acceleration affect torque?

Acceleration does not directly affect torque, but it can affect the force applied to the object which in turn affects the torque. The greater the acceleration, the greater the force and therefore the greater the torque.

Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This means that the force applied is in the opposite direction of the rotation or that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force.

Back