Finding transition matrix, no % probability given

In summary, the conversation discussed a quantum mechanical system with three states and empirical data showing the likelihood of transitions between the states. The last row of the transition matrix was determined to be \begin{bmatrix}0.125 & 0.8 & 0 \end{bmatrix}. However, it was noted that this model does not take into account the time scale of the transitions and may not accurately represent an actual quantum system.
Razberryz

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum mechanical system with three states. At each step a particular particle transitions from one state to a different state.

Empirical data show that if the particle is in State 1, then it is 7 times more likely to go to State 2 at the next step than to State 3. If it is in State 2, then it is 4 times more likely to go to State 3 at the next step than to State 1. If it is in State 3 then it is equally likely to go to State 1 or State 2 at the next step.

Let A be transition matrix for this markov chain. Find a31, a32, and a33 (i.e., find the last row in the transition matrix)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0.2 & 0.5 \\ 0.875 & 0 & 0.5 \\ 0.125 & 0.8 & 0 \end{bmatrix}

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Razberryz said:

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum mechanical system with three states. At each step a particular particle transitions from one state to a different state.

Empirical data show that if the particle is in State 1, then it is 7 times more likely to go to State 2 at the next step than to State 3. If it is in State 2, then it is 4 times more likely to go to State 3 at the next step than to State 1. If it is in State 3 then it is equally likely to go to State 1 or State 2 at the next step.

Let A be transition matrix for this markov chain. Find a31, a32, and a33 (i.e., find the last row in the transition matrix)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0.2 & 0.5 \\ 0.875 & 0 & 0.5 \\ 0.125 & 0.8 & 0 \end{bmatrix}

Am I on the right track?

These numbers all look wrong to me. Where did you get them? Show your work, so that we have a basis for discussion.

Note added in edit: apparently you are using the convention that the columns sum to 1. I have only seen this convention used in about 0.01% of the things I have ever read.

However, if that is the case your matrix is correct, at least as far as the state-transition "movements" are concerned. What is absent here is any notion of time scale. A quantum system will not just make a transition religiously every single time unit; in reality, it will remain in some state for a random amount of time, then jump to another state and remain there for another random amount of time, etc. In other words, you really should use a continuous-time Markov chain, rather than a discrete-time one. Unfortunately, in this problem you were not given any information about average sojourn times in the various states, so you cannot make a realistic model of an actual quantum system.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
These numbers all look wrong to me. Where did you get them? Show your work, so that we have a basis for discussion.

Imagine a 1 above the 1st column, a 2 above the 2nd column, and 3 above the 3rd column
do the same for the rows (1 beside the 1st row...)

and Pij = changing from state j to state i

Basically I put 0.875 in the 2nd row and 1st column, because the transition from state 1 to 2 is 7x more likely than the transition from 1 to 2, and 0.875% is 7x more than 0.125%. I think I'm doing this totally wrong. Thanks for the reply.

P would be the transition matrix, with 1,2,3 as states

Razberryz said:
P would be the transition matrix, with 1,2,3 as states

I edited my original post, to recognize that you are using the quite rare convention (columns summing to 1, instead of the usual one of rows summing to 1). That being said, read the rest of my edited post, because it makes a crucial point about relevance of the model you wrote down.

It's the correct answer! Thank you!

1. What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a square matrix used in probability theory and statistics to represent the probabilities of moving from one state to another in a system. It is commonly used in studying the behavior of dynamic systems over time.

2. How do you find the transition matrix?

The transition matrix can be found by organizing the probabilities of moving from one state to another in a tabular form. The rows and columns of the matrix represent the initial and final states, respectively. The sum of each row in the matrix should be equal to 1.

3. What is the purpose of finding the transition matrix?

The transition matrix is used to analyze the behavior of a system over time. It can help predict future outcomes and understand the probabilities of different events occurring in the system. It is also used in Markov chain analysis and other statistical methods.

4. Can the transition matrix be used for systems with continuous variables?

No, the transition matrix is typically used for systems with discrete states or events. It is not suitable for continuous variables as it assumes a fixed number of possible states.

5. How can I interpret the values in a transition matrix?

The values in a transition matrix represent the probabilities of moving from one state to another. For example, if the value in row 1 and column 2 is 0.2, it means there is a 20% chance of moving from state 1 to state 2. The sum of the values in each row should add up to 1, as they represent all possible outcomes from the initial state.