Finding Velocity of Water Flow: A0 to A

In summary,-Q is constant (same at A0 and A).-That means I have to find the velocity of the water either at A0 or at A.-But how can I find it? I thought there must be a reason that h is given but the only way I can use it is to assume the velocity is 0m/s at A0 but actually it is not.-Bernouli equation wouldn't work for the same reason.-Any tips?-Finding the distance for the water to flow from point A0 to A would also help but I see no solution for that time as well.-The water is in free fall
Taylan
Homework Statement
Water is coming out of a tap. The surface area of water at A0=1,2cm^2 and at A=0,35cm^2. There is a distance of h=45mm between the two points ( see the attachment). g=9,81m/s^2.

a) What is the volumetric flow rate (Q) of water?
b) if the Q=0,3l/s, what would be the surface area of A? ( given that A0 and h are the same)
Relevant Equations
Q=V/t
Q= Av
A1v1=A2v2
a) so Q=V/t = Av
Q is constant ( same At A0 and A). That means I have to find the velocity of the water either at A0 or at A. But how can I find it? I thought there must be a reason that h is given but the only way I can use it is to assume the velocity is 0m/s at A0 but actually it is not. Bernouli equation wouldn't work for the same reason. Any tips?

Finding the distance for the water to flow from point A0 to A would also help but I see no solution for that time as well.

Attachments

• tap.JPG
    tap.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 254
Physics news on Phys.org
The water is in free fall. If ##v_0## is the velocity at the tap, from the appropriate SUVAT equation, what is the velocity (in terms of ##v_0##) at a distance h below the tap?

Likes Taylan
Chestermiller said:
The water is in free fall. If ##v_0## is the velocity at the tap, from the appropriate SUVAT equation, what is the velocity (in terms of ##v_0##) at a distance h below the tap?

The thing is h gives the distance between A0 and A. However A0 is not where the water starts flowing. So at A0, it already has some velocity. ( that is what it looks to me from the attachment)

Taylan said:
The thing is h gives the distance between A0 and A. However A0 is not where the water starts flowing. So at A0, it already has some velocity. ( that is what it looks to me from the attachment)
Read my response again. Which SUVAT equation do you think is applicable?

Chestermiller said:
Read my response again. Which SUVAT equation do you think is applicable?

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

Taylan said:
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
Excellent. Now let u be the velocity at the tap (as yet unknown) and let v be the velocity h below the tap. OK so far?

Likes Taylan
Chestermiller said:
Excellent. Now let u be the velocity at the tap (as yet unknown) and let v be the velocity h below the tap. OK so far?
yes

Taylan said:
yes
OK. Now u and v also have to satisfy another equation. That is the constancy of volumetric flow rate equation. What is that equation?

Chestermiller said:
OK. Now u and v also have to satisfy another equation. That is the constancy of volumetric flow rate equation. What is that equation?

A0.v0 = A.v .. and then setting up simultaneous equations?

Yes. Incidentally, the "free-fall equation" also follows from the Bernoulli equation:

$$\rho \frac{u^2}{2}+\rho g h=\rho \frac{v^2}{2}+0$$

Likes Taylan
Chestermiller said:
Yes. Incidentally, the "free-fall equation" also follows from the Bernoulli equation:

$$\rho \frac{u^2}{2}+\rho g h=\rho \frac{v^2}{2}+0$$

Thanks a lot for the help!

1. How can I measure the velocity of water flow?

To measure the velocity of water flow, you can use a flow meter or a pitot tube. A flow meter measures the volume of water passing through a specific point in a given amount of time, while a pitot tube measures the difference in pressure between the static water and the moving water to calculate the velocity.

2. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of water flow?

The equation for calculating the velocity of water flow is V = Q/A, where V is the velocity, Q is the flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the water flow. This equation is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of water entering a section of a pipe must equal the volume of water exiting that section.

3. How does the cross-sectional area affect the velocity of water flow?

The cross-sectional area of the water flow directly affects the velocity of the water. As the cross-sectional area decreases, the velocity increases and vice versa. This is because the same volume of water must pass through a smaller area, resulting in a higher velocity to maintain the same flow rate.

4. What is the significance of measuring the velocity of water flow?

Measuring the velocity of water flow is important in many industries, such as civil engineering, environmental science, and hydrology. It allows for the design and maintenance of efficient water systems, prediction of potential flooding or erosion, and understanding of water movement in natural environments.

5. Can the velocity of water flow be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and the shape of the water channel can affect the velocity of water flow. Temperature changes can impact the density of the water, while changes in pressure can affect the flow rate. The shape of the water channel can also create turbulence and affect the velocity of the water flow.