Calculating Volume of Revolved Solid Using Cylindrical Shells

In summary, the problem is that you don't have upper or lower bounds on the region. You appear, since you are taking the "height" of each shell to be y, to be assuming the region rotated around the y-axis to be bounded below by y= 0 and bounded above by y= that function. And that's what's causing your confusion about "f(x)"- f should be the function giving the lower boundary. IF that lower boundary is y= f(x)= 0, then, yes, you can take f(x)= 0.
saxen
This shouldn't be a problem but I just can't this right!

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the body that is generated when y= 1/x(sqrt(4-x^2)) ,1 <= x <2, is rotated around the y-axis

Homework Equations

Using cylindrical shells :

2 pi ∫x (g(x)-f(x)) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

2 pi ∫x (g(x)-f(x)) dx= 2 pi ∫1/sqrt(4-x^2) dx (Can I put f(x)=0?)

Using inverse substitution

x= 2sin t
dx= 2cos t dt

2 pi ∫dt

2 pi [t], Is it correct to use sin(2) and sin(1) as limits here?

Somewhere it all goes wrong, help is very much appreciated!

First post aswell, didn't find anywhere to introduce myself though. So hello all =)

Physics news on Phys.org
saxen said:
This shouldn't be a problem but I just can't this right!

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the body that is generated when y= 1/x(sqrt(4-x^2)) ,1 <= x <2, is rotated around the y-axis

Homework Equations

Using cylindrical shells :

2 pi ∫x (g(x)-f(x)) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

2 pi ∫x (g(x)-f(x)) dx= 2 pi ∫1/sqrt(4-x^2) dx (Can I put f(x)=0?)

Using inverse substitution

x= 2sin t
dx= 2cos t dt

2 pi ∫dt

2 pi [t], Is it correct to use sin(2) and sin(1) as limits here?

Somewhere it all goes wrong, help is very much appreciated!

First post aswell, didn't find anywhere to introduce myself though. So hello all =)
The problem is that you don't have upper or lower bounds on the region. You appear, since you are taking the "height" of each shell to be y, to be assuming the region rotated around the y-axis to be bounded below by y= 0 and bounded above by y= that function.

And that's what's causing your confusion about "f(x)"- f should be the function giving the lower boundary. IF that lower boundary is y= f(x)= 0, then, yes, you can take f(x)= 0.

Since your original integral is "dx" and x is between 1 and 2, you should have
[tex]2\pi \int_1^2 \frac{dx}{\sqrt{4- x^2}}[/tex]

With the substitution x= 2 sin(t), no, the limits are NOT "sin(1)" and "sin(2)". You are going "the wrong way". "1" and "2" are values of x. When x= 1= 2 sin(t), sin(t)= 1/2 so t= sin^{-1}(1/2)= \pi/6[/itex]. When x= 2= 2sin(t), sin(t)= 1 so [itex]t= \pi/2[/itex]. Those are the limits of integration.

HallsofIvy said:
The problem is that you don't have upper or lower bounds on the region. You appear, since you are taking the "height" of each shell to be y, to be assuming the region rotated around the y-axis to be bounded below by y= 0 and bounded above by y= that function.

And that's what's causing your confusion about "f(x)"- f should be the function giving the lower boundary. IF that lower boundary is y= f(x)= 0, then, yes, you can take f(x)= 0.

Since your original integral is "dx" and x is between 1 and 2, you should have
[tex]2\pi \int_1^2 \frac{dx}{\sqrt{4- x^2}}[/tex]

With the substitution x= 2 sin(t), no, the limits are NOT "sin(1)" and "sin(2)". You are going "the wrong way". "1" and "2" are values of x. When x= 1= 2 sin(t), sin(t)= 1/2 so t= sin^{-1}(1/2)= \pi/6[/itex]. When x= 2= 2sin(t), sin(t)= 1 so [itex]t= \pi/2[/itex]. Those are the limits of integration.

I got it know, thank you very much! This was driving me crazy.

What is the definition of volume?

Volume is the amount of space that a solid object occupies. It is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

How do you find the volume of a regular solid?

To find the volume of a regular solid, you can use a formula specific to the shape of the solid. For example, the volume of a cube can be found by multiplying the length, width, and height, while the volume of a cylinder can be found by multiplying the base area by the height.

What is the difference between volume and surface area?

Volume is a measure of the space inside a solid object, while surface area is a measure of the total area of the outside surface of the object. In other words, volume is the amount of space the object takes up, while surface area is the amount of material needed to cover the object.

How do you find the volume of an irregular solid?

To find the volume of an irregular solid, you can use the displacement method. This involves placing the object in a container of water and measuring the amount of water it displaces. The volume of the object is equal to the amount of water it displaces.

Why is finding the volume of a solid important?

Finding the volume of a solid is important in many scientific and practical applications. It can help determine the amount of material needed to build a structure, the capacity of a container, or the amount of medication in a pill. It is also a fundamental concept in many areas of mathematics and physics.