What is the pressure force on the gate at point A?

In summary, the gate is 10 m long and 4 m wide, hinged at the top and held closed by a force at the bottom acting perpendicular to Gate AB. Friction and gate weight can be ignored. The pressure at point A can be found by using the formula for hydrostatic pressure, and the same approach can be used to find the pressure at any point between A and B. The total hydrostatic force acting on the gate can then be calculated by determining the magnitude and direction of the pressure force on the gate.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

The following shows a cross section through a tank with a rectangular sloping gate that is 10 m long and 4 m wide (width is measured into the page). The gate is hinged along its top edge and held closed by a force at its bottom edge at A that acts perpendicular to Gate AB. Friction in the hinge and the weight of the gate can be neglected.

What is the pressure at A?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I had the flu for this and don't quite know where to begin. I know you need to solve for pressure, but the way you do that is very confusing. I know it also involved centroids (I think at least) so I can apply what I'm learning about that (here) once I know what equations and theories to use for water pressure.

Attachments

• This.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
The image won't display, and the description doesn't seem to have enough info. Is there liquid in the tank? If so, to what depth? If no liquid, what is providing pressure?

That better? Might have been some extension problems (but yes, filled with water, bottom right corner is a straight line through, making essentially a "triangle cut")

Attachments

• ThisJ.jpg
    ThisJ.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 378
Bluestribute said:
That better? Might have been some extension problems (but yes, filled with water, bottom right corner is a straight line through, making essentially a "triangle cut")
Yes, that worked.
Finding the pressure at A is fairly trivial. No need to consider the gate etc., just the tank and the depth of water in it.
Are you sure it's not asking for the force applied to hold the gate shut? Or maybe that's a later part of the question?

It is a multi part question with force coming later, yes. But I'm about 50% on finding pressure. I know it involves like γh and stuff, but I can't find anything where someone just up and writes what each number represents and how to use them to find the pressure. So there's always weird dimensions floating around with no explanation as to why.

Bluestribute said:
It is a multi part question with force coming later, yes. But I'm about 50% on finding pressure. I know it involves like γh and stuff, but I can't find anything where someone just up and writes what each number represents and how to use them to find the pressure. So there's always weird dimensions floating around with no explanation as to why.
Then maybe it's best if you post a link to a site that you can't understand and I lead you through it.

This problem is actually a practice final I'm working on. That's all the info it gives. I've attached a slide I was looking at too. I understand the 62.4, I understand taking the moment, I understand taking area of something, but there's dimensions thrown in without labels that's confusing me. Like, where do they belong in the equation for water pressure?

Attachments

• WPJ.jpg
    WPJ.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 427
You should read about hydro-static pressure and then try again the first question.
For the first question you need only the formula for hydro-static pressure.

Ok. So, ρgh. This is in meters, so it's (1000)(9.81)(12.5). 1000 kg/m3, gravity constant, and it's 12.5 meters high. Check. Point B (next question) is 73575 N/m2. In the calculator it goes.

Question 3 (still finding water pressure so I feel it still fits in this thread),
What is the total hydrostatic force acting on the gate?

OK, so now you know the pressure at points A and B, and you can use the same approach to get the pressure at any other location in-between points A and B. You are aware that the pressure acts perpendicular to the gate, correct? With this knowledge, what is the magnitude of the pressure force on the gate, and, in what direction does it act?

Chet

1. What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force or amount of pressure exerted by water against the walls of a container or surface within a closed system. It is measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How is water pressure measured?

Water pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge, which is typically attached to a water line or pipe. The gauge will display the pressure in units of psi or kPa. Alternatively, water pressure can also be measured using a manometer, which measures the height of a column of water to determine pressure.

3. What factors affect water pressure?

Several factors can affect water pressure, including the height of the water source, the volume of water, and the density of the water. Other factors such as the size and condition of the water pipes, elevation, and gravity can also impact water pressure.

4. How can water pressure be increased?

Water pressure can be increased by adjusting the height of the water source, increasing the volume or density of the water, or using a pump to increase the pressure. Additionally, replacing old or damaged water pipes can also help increase water pressure.

5. What can cause low water pressure?

Low water pressure can be caused by a variety of factors, such as clogged or corroded pipes, leaks in the system, or issues with the water source. It can also be affected by external factors like high demand on the water supply or a decrease in the water table. Consulting a plumber is recommended to determine the specific cause of low water pressure.