Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite element simulation of a solenoid

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hi all.

I would like to do a finite element simulation of a coil in a time-varying magnetic field, to see how much current is induced in the coil, and also to see how the coil itself affects its surroundings. Now my question is, how do I model a coil with several thousand turns in a practical finite element simulation? I was thinking that maybe I could just draw a cylinder and assign some (possibly anisotropic) material parameters, but then what should these be? I hope someone has an idea!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Do you know how to use the program MAXWELL?

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    I am aware that Maxwell has some way of defining solid cylinders as coils, but this functionality does not exist in the software I have access to. Do you know how Maxwell implements this feature?

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    The last time I simulated a solenoid on MAXWELL, my assigned current excitation was the product of the applied current and the number of turns. The solenoid was a hollow cylinder with the excitation applied in the direction of the flowing current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook