1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite element simulation of a solenoid

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    Hi all.

I would like to do a finite element simulation of a coil in a time-varying magnetic field, to see how much current is induced in the coil, and also to see how the coil itself affects its surroundings. Now my question is, how do I model a coil with several thousand turns in a practical finite element simulation? I was thinking that maybe I could just draw a cylinder and assign some (possibly anisotropic) material parameters, but then what should these be? I hope someone has an idea!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2012 #2
    Do you know how to use the program MAXWELL?

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    I am aware that Maxwell has some way of defining solid cylinders as coils, but this functionality does not exist in the software I have access to. Do you know how Maxwell implements this feature?

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    The last time I simulated a solenoid on MAXWELL, my assigned current excitation was the product of the applied current and the number of turns. The solenoid was a hollow cylinder with the excitation applied in the direction of the flowing current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook