How Does Friction Heating Follow the First Law of Thermodynamics?

In summary, when considering the process of friction heating a block as it slides, it is important to consider the contact surface system as the system rather than just the block. This is because the frictional force is an internal force and therefore the work done by the contact surface system is the work done by the frictional force. This results in an increase in internal energy of the system, which is consistent with the first law of thermodynamics.
indoguy427

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand how the process of friction heating a block as it slides can be explained by the first law of thermodynamics.

Homework Equations

W_net(net work on object) = change in KE

change in internal energy = Q(heat added to system) - W_by (work done by system)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that friction is doing negative work on the block. This is because the force of friction is directed opposite to the motion and thus the dot product of force and distance is negative. I can see that this is consistent with the work energy theorem because the change in KE is negative, as the block's final speed is less than its original speed. In a general sense, I understand that since energy must be conserved, this loss of KE is converted into heat energy and the block's temperature rises. However, I am having trouble understanding that from the first law.

In applying the first law I assume that since the block and floor are at the same temp, no heat is added from the floor to the block and thus Q = 0. Also, I know that W_on = -W_by.
Since the work done on the block is negative, the work done by the block is positive. That means that since change in internal energy = -W_by, the change in internal energy will be negative. This means that the block's temperature will decrease!

Can someone please help me to understand what I am doing wrong in applying the first law here? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick here is not to consider the block, but to consider the contact surface between the block and surface as the system.

hmm - if i consider the contact surface, i still don't see how it will change things...

indoguy427 said:
hmm - if i consider the contact surface, i still don't see how it will change things...
If one considers the contact surfaces as the system, then the frictional force is an internal force and hence the work done by friction, becomes the work done by the system.

hm there's a gap in my understanding with regards to the first law / internal vs. external forces... can you please explain how an internal force relates to the first law vs. an external force acting on the system?

indoguy427 said:
hm there's a gap in my understanding with regards to the first law / internal vs. external forces... can you please explain how an internal force relates to the first law vs. an external force acting on the system?
Simply put, the frictional force is part of the contact surface system. The frictional force is doing work against the block and since the frictional force is part of the contact surface system, then the work done by the frictional force is the work done by the contact surface system. Make sense?

Since the contact-surface system is doing positive work, then don't we still get a negative change in internal energy?

indoguy427 said:
Since the contact-surface system is doing positive work, then don't we still get a negative change in internal energy?
No, since the frictional force is in the opposite direction to the displacement the work done by the frictional force is negative (as you correctly say in your OP). Therefore, the work done by the contact surface system is negative. As per your definition of the first law this results in an increase is internal energy of the system.

What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics, also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to heat and work?

The First Law of Thermodynamics states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. This means that any energy transferred into or out of the system as heat or work will result in a corresponding change in the internal energy of the system.

What is an example of the First Law of Thermodynamics in action?

An example of the First Law of Thermodynamics is a car engine. The chemical energy in the fuel is converted into heat and work, which powers the car and causes it to move. The total energy of the system (fuel, engine, and car) remains constant, but the form of energy changes as the car moves.

How does the First Law of Thermodynamics relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy (disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. The First Law of Thermodynamics does not place any restrictions on the direction of energy transfer, but the Second Law does. Together, these laws explain the direction and limitations of energy transfer and conversion.

Why is the First Law of Thermodynamics important?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is important because it is a fundamental principle of energy conservation. It helps us understand the movement and transformation of energy in various systems, from the smallest particles to the largest celestial bodies. It also plays a crucial role in many scientific and engineering applications, such as energy production and efficiency.