Flat plate, circular hole center of mass

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the x-coordinate of the center of mass of a uniform flat metal plate with a circular hole. The plate has a rectangle shape with a length from -6 to 7 and a height from -3 to 3. The circle has a radius of 2 and starts at 1 to 5 within the rectangle. The formula for finding the center of mass is given as Xcm= m1x1+m2x2/m1+m2, where x1 and x2 are the coordinates of the center of mass and the hole respectively. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the mass and coordinates of the rectangle and circle.
gap0063

Homework Statement

A uniform flat plate of metal with a circular hole, where it is a rectangle starting from -6 to 7 from the length, and the height is -3 to 3.

The circle has a radius of 2, and it starts at 1 to 5.
Calculate the x-coordinate of the center of
mass xcm of the metal plate.

Homework Equations

well Xcm= m1x1+m2x2/m1+m2

The Attempt at a Solution

is this the right equation?
and if so, how do I take out the circular part?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi gap0063! :wink:
gap0063 said:
well Xcm= m1x1+m2x2/m1+m2

is this the right equation?

yes :smile:
and if so, how do I take out the circular part?

it has negative mass! :biggrin:

(no, seriously, it really does … try it!)

tiny-tim said:
hi gap0063! :wink:

yes :smile:

it has negative mass! :biggrin:

(no, seriously, it really does … try it!)

this is probably a dumb question, but how do you find the mass of the rectangle and circle?

and is the x1 and x2 the coordinates?

hi gap0063! :smile:
gap0063 said:
this is probably a dumb question, but how do you find the mass of the rectangle and circle?

and is the x1 and x2 the coordinates?

if you're not given the density, then use area instead of mass in the formula

and yes, x1 and x2 are the x coordinates of the centre of mass and of the hole respectively (and similarly for y1 and y2) :wink:

tiny-tim said:

if you're not given the density, then use area instead of mass in the formula

and yes, x1 and x2 are the x coordinates of the centre of mass and of the hole respectively (and similarly for y1 and y2) :wink:

alright, is this right:

13*6(1/2)-(7)(22[tex]\Pi[/tex]/ (13*6+ 4[tex]\Pi[/tex])

(have a pi: π :wink:)

gap0063 said:
alright, is this right:

13*6(1/2)-(7)(22[tex]\Pi[/tex]/ (13*6+ 4[tex]\Pi[/tex])

for the total mass (on the bottom) you need minus 4π, don't you? :wink:

apart from that, it looks ok, except i don't understand where the (7) comes from

(and i didn't understand what this meant :confused: …)
gap0063 said:
The circle … starts at 1 to 5.

tiny-tim said:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

for the total mass (on the bottom) you need minus 4π, don't you? :wink:

apart from that, it looks ok, except i don't understand where the (7) comes from

(and i didn't understand what this meant :confused: …)

Yes I meant minus on the bottom

the 7 is from how far away the cicle is from the begin on the rectangle

sorry I don't have the picture but the shapes are on a coordinate system and inside the rectangle (that goes from (-6,0) to (7,0) ) the circle lies at (1,0) to (5,0).

so the centre of the circle is at (3,0)?

ok, then you must use x2 = 3 …

your x1 x2 and x must all be measured from the same origin :wink:

tiny-tim said:
so the centre of the circle is at (3,0)?

ok, then you must use x2 = 3 …

your x1 x2 and x must all be measured from the same origin :wink:

yes the center of the circle is (3,0)

so what is x1...? is it 1/2?

yes, your x1 = 1/2 was correct :smile:

1. What is a flat plate with a circular hole in the center of mass?

A flat plate with a circular hole in the center of mass is a two-dimensional shape that has a circular hole located at its midpoint. This type of object is often used in engineering and physics experiments to study the effects of a hole on the overall mass and stability of the object.

2. How is the center of mass determined for a flat plate with a circular hole?

The center of mass for a flat plate with a circular hole can be determined by finding the average position of all the individual points on the object. This can be done by dividing the object into smaller sections and calculating the center of mass for each section, then finding the overall average.

3. What factors affect the center of mass for a flat plate with a circular hole?

The size and location of the hole, as well as the overall shape and thickness of the plate, can all affect the center of mass for this type of object. Additionally, the material properties and distribution of mass within the object can also have an impact on the center of mass.

4. How is the center of mass related to the stability of a flat plate with a circular hole?

The center of mass is closely related to the stability of an object. If the center of mass is located within the base of support, the object will be stable. However, if the center of mass is located outside of the base of support, the object may be more prone to tipping or falling over.

5. What are some real-world applications for studying the center of mass of a flat plate with a circular hole?

Understanding the center of mass of objects is crucial for engineers and architects in designing stable structures. It is also important in the field of aerodynamics, as the location of the center of mass can affect the flight characteristics of airplanes and other flying objects. Additionally, studying the center of mass can provide insights into the stability and balance of everyday objects, such as furniture or vehicles.