Floating Cylinder of Uniform Density

In summary, No Change will occur when the density of the liquids is the same, when the cylinder is replaced with one of the same size and shape but with a different density, when the cylinder is replaced with one of the same size and shape but with a different height, and when a liquid with a density of 1.06 g/cm3 is poured into the glass.
ScrubTier
A solid cylinder of uniform density of 0.85 g/cm3 floats in a glass of water tinted light blue by food coloring.
https://s4.lite.msu.edu/enc/74/b3c49e2ca8cb7c509e3042e72ba7ea7017a9952689b6f0e427ff558774d5f3fbf098898cb4b4f2de9035623ceb3cd36ea31f7d51c48cb6ba67d249dfd4687472f9dc5f4ac2ae0c859d1d39714a7373604f270a8c685ef41773164e58fe8763aa.gif
Its circular surfaces are horizontal. What effect will the following changes, each made to the initial system, have on X, the height of the upper surface above the water? The liquids added do not mix with the water, and the cylinder never hits the bottom.

1. More tinted water is added to the glass.
2. A liquid with a density of 0.76 g/cm3 is poured into the glass.
3. The cylinder is replaced with one that has the same density and diameter, but with 1.5× the height.
4. The cylinder is replaced with one that has the same density and height, but 1.5× the diameter.
5. The cylinder is replaced with one that has the same height and diameter, but with density of 0.83 g/cm3.
6. A liquid with a density of 1.06 g/cm3 is poured into the glass.

Homework Equations

Density = Mass/Volume

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1. No Change- Both densities are the same so no change occurs
2. X Decreases- The lower density liquid will sit on top of the water and the cylinder
3. X increases- A proportional amount to before will be above water and because it is longer more will stick out
4. No Change- Diameter has no effect on density
5. X increases- Since it is now less dense it will float higher
6. No Change- The denser liquid will sink to the bottom and not effect the cylinder

Physics news on Phys.org
https://s4.lite.msu.edu/enc/74/b3c49e2ca8cb7c509e3042e72ba7ea7017a9952689b6f0e427ff558774d5f3fbf098898cb4b4f2de9035623ceb3cd36ea31f7d51c48cb6ba67d249dfd4687472f9dc5f4ac2ae0c859d1d39714a7373604f270a8c685ef41773164e58fe8763aa.gif sorry. This is the picture for the question

swag.gif

EDIT: Forget the following; see discussion below.

ScrubTier said:
3. The cylinder is replaced with one that has the same density and diameter, but with 1.5× the height.
Think what would happen if you cut the cylinder in half, making two cylinders at half the length ("height")?

ScrubTier said:
4. The cylinder is replaced with one that has the same density and height, but 1.5× the diameter.
What about 2x the diameter or 5x?

Last edited:
@ScrubTier , I agree with all your answers except #1. Read very carefully the definition of X.

Edit: typo, I meant all except #2.

@insightful , you seem to disagree with answers 3 and 4. They look right to me. Are you perhaps taking the circular faces as vertical?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
@insightful , you seem to disagree with answers 3 and 4. They look right to me. Are you perhaps taking the circular faces as vertical?
I'm taking it as a cylinder on its side, like a log floating.

insightful said:
I'm taking it as a cylinder on its side, like a log floating.
Then read the question statement again. It is floating upright ("circular surfaces are horizontal").

haruspex said:
Then read the question statement again. It is floating upright ("circular surfaces are horizontal").
Well, I interpreted the "circular surfaces" as the " curved surfaces." OP?

insightful said:
Well, I interpreted the "circular surfaces" as the " curved surfaces." OP?
I suppose you could argue that is ambiguous, but it is resolved by this:
ScrubTier said:
X, the height of the upper surface above the water?

haruspex said:
I suppose you could argue that is ambiguous, but it is resolved by this:
I could argue that a floating log has an "upper surface" too, but I do see your point (that and the use of the word "height").

Note my EDIT above.

haruspex said:
@ScrubTier , I agree with all your answers except #1. Read very carefully the definition of X.
Are you assuming that the added water which "does not mix" somehow distributes itself uniformly on the surface?

ScrubTier said:
2. A liquid with a density of 0.76 g/cm3 is poured into the glass.
What would happen if a liquid with a density of 0.85 g/cm3 were poured into the glass?

insightful said:
Are you assuming that the added water which "does not mix" somehow distributes itself uniformly on the surface?
My mistake, I meant all except #2. Edited above.

I was thinking that it would distribute itself evenly yes, is that incorrect? And are 4 and 5 wrong? Or not?

ScrubTier said:
I was thinking that it would distribute itself evenly yes, is that incorrect? And are 4 and 5 wrong? Or not?
Insightful was responding to my initial post, but I had a typo there.
As I meant to say there, I agree with all of your answers except #2. Check very carefully how X is defined.

I was thinking since the new liquid added is less dense than the water it would sit on top of the water and because the cylinder is heavier that it would not be able to float. I just tried all the same answers except with 2. as No Change and it was wrong

ScrubTier said:
I was thinking since the new liquid added is less dense than the water it would sit on top of the water and because the cylinder is heavier that it would not be able to float. I just tried all the same answers except with 2. as No Change and it was wrong
Well, you have one more possibility for 2...
Also, what about my question in #12?

If it was the same then would the x increase?

I just tried it with all of the same answers except #2 increase. Something besides #2 must be wrong

ScrubTier said:
I just tried it with all of the same answers except #2 increase. Something besides #2 must be wrong
I cannot think what else could be wrong.
Yes, for #2, it should be an increase, but do you see why? How is X defined?

ScrubTier said:
For #1, if the added "new" water actually did distribute itself over the "old" water (not mixing), and x is measured from the "old" water level, x would increase, but this is a stretch.

I discovered a typing error! You guys were right :) Thank you both very much

1. What is a floating cylinder of uniform density?

A floating cylinder of uniform density refers to a cylindrical object that is able to float on the surface of a liquid due to its uniform density throughout its entire volume. This means that every part of the cylinder has the same mass and occupies the same amount of space, resulting in a balanced distribution of weight and buoyancy.

2. How does a floating cylinder of uniform density float?

A floating cylinder of uniform density floats due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. In the case of a floating cylinder, the weight of the cylinder is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces, resulting in a neutral buoyancy that allows it to float on the liquid's surface.

3. What factors affect the floating of a cylinder of uniform density?

The floating of a cylinder of uniform density is affected by several factors, including the density of the liquid, the density and volume of the cylinder, and the gravitational force acting on the cylinder. The shape and surface area of the cylinder can also play a role in its floating, as well as any external forces such as wind or waves.

4. Can a floating cylinder of uniform density sink?

A floating cylinder of uniform density will not sink as long as the weight of the cylinder is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. However, if the weight of the cylinder increases or the density of the liquid changes, the cylinder may sink below the surface or even submerge completely.

5. What are some real-life applications of a floating cylinder of uniform density?

A floating cylinder of uniform density has various applications in industries such as marine engineering, shipbuilding, and oceanography. It is used to model the behavior of ships and other floating structures, as well as to design and test buoyancy devices such as life jackets and floating platforms. In addition, understanding the principles behind floating cylinders can also aid in predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters such as floods and tsunamis.