1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid dynamics

1. Feb 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nozzle with a radius of 0.250 cm is attached to a garden hose with a radius of 0.800 cm. The velocity of the water in the hose is 2.80 m/s and the velocity of the water in the nozzle is 28.7 m/s.s

(a) Calculate the maximum height to which water could be squirted if it emerges from the nozzle.

(b) Calculate the maximum height to which water could be squirted if it emerges with the nozzle removed, assuming the same flow rate.

2. Relevant equations

I might be missing something but don't I only have to use the projectile motion equation and solve for the delta y?

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the projectile motion equation but I don't get the right answer, and I don't know how to make use of the radius information.

The answers are supposed to be a) 42m and b) .4m I just need to know how it's solved
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2014 #2
    Those answers can indeed be obtained with just the projectile motion equations. If you cannot obtain them, you must be making a mistake somewhere. Show your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted