Calculating Max Height of Water Squirted from Garden Hose

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a nozzle with a radius of 0.250 cm attached to a garden hose with a radius of 0.800 cm. The velocities of the water in the hose and nozzle are given and the question asks to calculate the maximum height that the water could be squirted both with and without the nozzle removed. The homework equations used are the projectile motion equation, and the answers are 42m and 0.4m respectively.
narutoish

Homework Statement

A nozzle with a radius of 0.250 cm is attached to a garden hose with a radius of 0.800 cm. The velocity of the water in the hose is 2.80 m/s and the velocity of the water in the nozzle is 28.7 m/s.s

(a) Calculate the maximum height to which water could be squirted if it emerges from the nozzle.

(b) Calculate the maximum height to which water could be squirted if it emerges with the nozzle removed, assuming the same flow rate.

Homework Equations

I might be missing something but don't I only have to use the projectile motion equation and solve for the delta y?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the projectile motion equation but I don't get the right answer, and I don't know how to make use of the radius information.

The answers are supposed to be a) 42m and b) .4m I just need to know how it's solved

Physics news on Phys.org
Those answers can indeed be obtained with just the projectile motion equations. If you cannot obtain them, you must be making a mistake somewhere. Show your work.

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of water squirted from a garden hose?

The maximum height of water squirted from a garden hose can be calculated using the equation h = (v^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity of the water, θ is the angle of the hose, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the ideal angle to achieve the maximum height of water from a garden hose?

The ideal angle to achieve the maximum height of water from a garden hose is 45 degrees. This angle allows for the optimal balance between the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity, resulting in the highest possible height.

3. Can the maximum height of water be affected by the water pressure?

Yes, the maximum height of water can be affected by the water pressure. Higher water pressure will result in a higher initial velocity, which in turn will increase the maximum height of water squirted from the garden hose.

4. How does the length of the garden hose affect the maximum height of water?

The length of the garden hose does not directly affect the maximum height of water. However, a longer hose may result in a slight decrease in water pressure, which can indirectly affect the maximum height achieved.

5. What factors can impact the accuracy of calculating the maximum height of water from a garden hose?

The accuracy of calculating the maximum height of water can be impacted by factors such as air resistance, friction, and variations in water pressure. Additionally, factors such as the angle and initial velocity of the water may not be consistent, resulting in slight variations in the calculated maximum height.