Flux through a paraboloid? The Divergence Theorem and Integration Error

In summary, the problem involves finding the flux through a paraboloid open along the positive z-axis with a horizontal surface at z=100. The velocity equation for water flow through the paraboloid is given and the divergence theorem is to be used to find the flux. The divergence is found and the equation for the paraboloid is determined. The integral is iterated and solved, but the final result is negative, indicating that the flux through the open end of the paraboloid needs to be subtracted from the calculated flux. The final answer is supposed to be 10000pi.
Raen
The Problem: I have a paraboloid open along the positive z-axis, starting at the origin and ending at z = 100. At z=100, the horizontal surface is a circle with a radius of 20. Water is flowing through the paraboloid with the velocity F = 2xzi - (1100 + xe^-x^2)j + z(1100 - z)k. I'm asked to find the flux through the paraboloid using the divergence theorem.

Equations: divF = dF1/dx + dF2/dy + dF3/dz
Flux = [tex]\int divF dV[/tex]

My attempt: I started by finding the divergence.

2z + 0 + (1100 - 2z) = 1100

Next, I found the equation for the paraboloid.

z = r^2/x
100 = 20^2/x
100 = 400/4
z = r^2/4

Then I iterated the integral.

Flux = [tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0} \int^{20}_{0} \int^{100}_{r^2/4} 1100r dz dr d\theta[/tex]

When I solve the integral, I end up with -11000000pi, but the answer is supposed to be 10000pi. Where am I going wrong?

If I have it correct thus far and my problem is in my integration, please let me know and I'll type out the integration step by step, as well. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Raen! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Raen said:
The Problem: I have a paraboloid open along the positive z-axis, …

(i haven't checked your figures, but …)

The paraboloid is open, so you'll need to subtract the flux through the open end. :wink:

The flux through the top is positive, so subtracting the flux through the open circle from what I already had gives me an even larger negative number, -51000000pi.

oooh, I didn't notice that minus sign! :redface:

but how did you manage to get a negative result from integrating something that's everywhere positive? :confused:

1. What is flux through a paraboloid?

Flux through a paraboloid is the measure of the amount of fluid, particles, or energy that passes through a paraboloid surface. It is a concept commonly used in physics and engineering to understand and analyze the flow of fluids or particles through curved surfaces.

2. How is the flux through a paraboloid calculated?

The flux through a paraboloid is calculated using the formula: Φ = ∫∫S F · dS, where Φ is the flux, S is the surface of the paraboloid, and F is the flux density vector. This formula essentially calculates the flow of particles or energy through an infinitesimal area on the paraboloid surface.

3. What factors affect the flux through a paraboloid?

The flux through a paraboloid can be affected by various factors such as the shape and curvature of the paraboloid, the flow rate of the fluid or particles passing through it, and the angle at which the flux density vector is pointing relative to the surface.

4. How is the flux through a paraboloid used in real-life applications?

The concept of flux through a paraboloid is used in various real-life applications, such as in fluid dynamics to study the flow of fluids through curved pipes or channels, in optics to understand the flow of light through curved lenses, and in engineering to analyze the flow of particles through curved surfaces in turbines or airfoils.

5. Is the flux through a paraboloid always constant?

No, the flux through a paraboloid can vary depending on the factors mentioned earlier. For example, if the flow rate or the curvature of the paraboloid changes, the flux through it will also change. However, for a given set of conditions, the flux through a paraboloid can remain constant.