[For experts] Derivatives of 1/f(x)^2

• Thread starter wackensack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the pdf file contains a math problem. The author suggests adapting Faá di Bruno's formula to the problem. He has a nitpick--smooth functions (i.e. infinitely differentiable) are not required to have a MacLauren series. He finds the first elements of a sequence that solves the problem.
wackensack
My question is presented in the uploaded pdf file.

Attachments

• Dear friends.pdf
    13.7 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure I want to download the file... sorry.
But You might want to know that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{1}{f^2(x)})=-2\frac{f'(x)}{f^3(x)}[/tex]

I just briefly looked at the problem, but I wanted to say that the file is fine. Just a math problem. :)

I have a nitpick -- smooth functions (i.e. infinitely differentiable) are not required to have a MacLauren series -- you need to be analytic.

It may help

Thank you, Mr. Benorin. I'm trying to adapt the Faá di Bruno's formula to my problem. :rolleyes:

Bob

Ok, so I found another formulation of Faa di Bruno's formula for the nth derivative of a composition of functions: here's your answer

[tex]\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}\left(-\frac{1}{f^{2}(x)}\right) = \sum_{m=1}^{n}\left\{\frac{1}{m!}\left[\sum_{j=0}^{m-1}(-1)^{j}\frac{m!}{j!(m-j)!}f^{j}(x)\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}\left( f^{m-j}(x)\right)\right]\frac{(-1)^{m+1}(m+1)!}{f^{m+2}(x)}\right\}[/tex]

where [tex]f^{k}(x)[/tex] is the kth power of f(x) (not the kth derivative.)

-Ben

Mr. Benorin, you see, this is a local problem: the final result is evaluated at [tex]x = a[/tex]. Besides that, [tex]f[/tex] satisfies some particular conditions, which must be considered:
(a) [tex]f(x) \neq 0[/tex], over some open interval [tex]A[/tex];
(b) [tex]f[/tex] is a series of even powers;
(c) [tex]f^{(2n+1)}(a) = 0[/tex] and [tex]f^{(2n)}(a) \neq 0[/tex], [tex]n = 0, 1, 2, ...[/tex];
The final result is a function of [tex]a[/tex], and the sum symbol, [tex]\Sigma[/tex], will not appear in the final answer.
As I've pointed,
[tex]g^{(2n)}(a)=-b_n f(a)^{-3n-2}[/tex]​
Now, the task would be:
Find [tex](b_n)[/tex]​
Any symbolic software may show us that the first elements of this sequence are:
[tex](b_n) = (1, 22, 584, 28384, 2190128, ...)[/tex]​
I've encountered some difficulties to solve my task... :confused:

Mr. Benorin, your result may come in handy, thank you.

Bob

1. What is the importance of studying derivatives of 1/f(x)^2?

The study of derivatives of 1/f(x)^2 is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of functions that are inversely proportional to the square of another function. These types of functions are commonly found in physics, engineering, and economics, making this topic relevant and applicable to various fields of study.

2. How do you find the derivative of 1/f(x)^2?

The derivative of 1/f(x)^2 can be found using the power rule for derivatives, where the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the original function raised to the power minus one. In this case, the derivative of 1/f(x)^2 would be equal to -2/f(x)^3.

3. What are the applications of derivatives of 1/f(x)^2?

One application of derivatives of 1/f(x)^2 is in optimization problems, where we need to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. These types of functions are also commonly used in modeling natural phenomena, such as the force of gravity or the spread of diseases.

4. How do derivatives of 1/f(x)^2 relate to the graph of the function?

The derivative of 1/f(x)^2 can tell us about the slope of the original function at a specific point. If the derivative is positive, the original function is increasing at that point, and if the derivative is negative, the original function is decreasing. The derivative can also help us identify important points on the graph, such as local extrema.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the derivative of 1/f(x)^2?

Yes, there are two special cases. The first one is when the function f(x) is a constant, in which case the derivative of 1/f(x)^2 would be equal to 0. The second case is when f(x) is equal to 0 at a certain point, in which case the derivative would be undefined. These cases are important to consider when using derivatives of 1/f(x)^2 in mathematical calculations.