Black Hole Bomb Effectiveness: Mirrors or Wormholes?

In summary: And I'm saying I'm not sure that's possible, because wormholes defocus radiation passing through them, so it's not clear to me that they would direct enough radiation back at the hole to cause the instability.In summary, the black hole bomb is a device that uses the emitted radiation from a black hole to create an instability in spacetime, which can be harnessed to create a powerful EMP.
Vanilla Gorilla
TL;DR Summary
I have a question. For the Black Hole Bomb to be effective, does it need the mirrors there, or can they be replaced with wormholes or some other quirk of spacetime? Have a lovely day!
For the Black Hole Bomb to be effective, does it need the mirrors there, or can they be replaced with wormholes, or some other quirk of spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanilla Gorilla said:
the Black Hole Bomb

What is the black hole bomb? Can you give a reference?

That video explains it simply :)

Ibix said:
Wikipedia reference if you don't want to sit through the video. It appears to be referring to black hole superradiance, an EM variant on the Penrose process, if I understand correctly.

Thanks for the reference, much better than the video since the article provides links to actual papers. I'll have to take some time to read them before I can say much on the topic.

Vanilla Gorilla said:
For the Black Hole Bomb to be effective, does it need the mirrors there, or can they be replaced with wormholes, or some other quirk of spacetime?

As above, I'll need to read the papers referenced in the Wikipedia article, but my initial thought is that wormholes or similar things would defocus the superradiant beams (similar to the way they defocus EM radiation and vacuum fluctuations passing through them--Kip Thorne discusses this in Black Holes and Time Warps, and in at least one of his peer-reviewed wormhole papers) and therefore would probably not work in place of mirrors as the amount of superradiant energy that would end up being trapped would not be enough to cause the instability.

But if any was trapped at all, because the process is looping, could this not have the same effect?

Vanilla Gorilla said:
if any was trapped at all, because the process is looping, could this not have the same effect?

I don't know what you mean by "the process is looping". The "process" in question is having radiation emitted by the black hole (that's what superradiance is) reflected back towards the hole. If not enough is reflected, the instability won't occur. I don't think enough would be reflected (or the equivalent) with a wormhole. But, as I said, I have not yet read through the papers referenced in the Wikipedia article in detail.

Oh I see what you meant; what I meant is that the wormholes surrounding the black hole would be able to keep the process going, theoretically having it go until the black holes and or wormholes evaporate (Whichever goes first, assuming wormholes would even evaporate, assuming that they're even real);

Vanilla Gorilla said:
what I meant is that the wormholes surrounding the black hole would be able to keep the process going

And I'm saying I'm not sure that's possible, because wormholes defocus radiation passing through them, so it's not clear to me that they would direct enough radiation back at the hole to cause the instability.

Ok, thank you for the help :)

1. How does a black hole bomb work?

A black hole bomb is a theoretical weapon that utilizes the immense gravitational pull of a black hole to create a powerful burst of energy. It involves dropping a large amount of matter into a black hole, which causes the black hole's event horizon to expand rapidly and release a burst of energy.

2. What is the role of mirrors in the black hole bomb effectiveness?

The use of mirrors in a black hole bomb is based on the concept of a "photon sphere," which is the region around a black hole where light can orbit in a stable path. By strategically placing mirrors in this region, the photons can be reflected back and forth, increasing in energy until they eventually escape as a powerful beam of energy.

3. Can a black hole bomb be created using wormholes instead of mirrors?

While the use of wormholes in a black hole bomb has been proposed, it is currently only a theoretical concept. Theoretically, a wormhole could be used to connect two black holes, allowing for a more efficient transfer of energy. However, the creation and stabilization of wormholes is still a major challenge in physics.

4. Is the black hole bomb a feasible weapon?

At this time, the black hole bomb is purely a theoretical concept and has not been tested or proven to be a feasible weapon. The technology and resources required to create and control a black hole are currently beyond our capabilities.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the use of a black hole bomb?

As with any powerful weapon, there are potential risks and consequences associated with the use of a black hole bomb. The release of a massive burst of energy could have destructive effects on its surroundings, and the creation and control of a black hole could have unpredictable consequences for the fabric of space and time.