What's Wrong with This Argument? Problem-Solving a Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the distance an object would move if a horizontal force of 15 N was applied and 20 J of work was done. The teacher used the formula W=F*d to solve for x, which was equal to 4/3 m. However, the student questioned the validity of this statement and wondered if other factors like friction and gravity should also be taken into account. The student asked for clarification on what they may have missed.
Riddl3r

Homework Statement

Our teacher made an unconvincing argument based on this example:
If a horizontal force of 15 N were a applied to a 2 kg block, and the work done was 20 J, what distance did the object move?

2. The attempt at a solution
Using W=F*d the teacher solved this: 20 J=15 N*x -> x=4/3 m.
This implied that if I applied 15 N to an object of any mass and did 20 J of work, the distance I could move the object is always the same. There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with this statement. But I'm not seeing what it is, I know it's there - I'm think that somehow I need to do something with the weight of the object. I mean if it were to be realistic I would have to calculate friction and gravity too...

Can somebody please tell me what I missed out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

There are a few issues with this argument.

Firstly, the equation W=F*d can only be used to calculate work done in a straight line when the force is constant. In this case, the force is not constant as it is being applied horizontally, which means that the distance traveled by the object may not be in a straight line. This means that the work done may not be accurately calculated using this equation.

Secondly, the statement assumes that the work done is solely due to the applied force of 15 N. However, there may be other forces at play, such as friction and gravity, which could also contribute to the work done. This means that the calculated distance may not be accurate as it does not take into account these other forces.

Additionally, the statement assumes that the mass of the object does not affect the distance it can be moved with a given amount of work. This is not always true as objects with different masses may require different amounts of work to be moved the same distance.

In order to accurately solve this problem, all forces acting on the object should be taken into account, and the appropriate equations should be used to calculate the work done and distance traveled. It is important to consider all factors and not make assumptions based on a single equation or value.

1. What is the purpose of "What's Wrong with This Argument?"

The purpose of "What's Wrong with This Argument?" is to improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills by identifying flaws in arguments and finding ways to correct them. It is a common approach used in many fields of study, including science, to develop analytical and logical reasoning abilities.

2. How does "What's Wrong with This Argument?" help with problem-solving?

"What's Wrong with This Argument?" helps with problem-solving by breaking down a complex problem into smaller parts and identifying the key issues. By critically analyzing the argument and finding flaws, it allows for a more systematic and logical approach to problem-solving, rather than relying on intuition or assumptions.

3. Is "What's Wrong with This Argument?" only useful for scientific problems?

No, "What's Wrong with This Argument?" can be applied to any type of problem, whether it be scientific, mathematical, or even everyday life situations. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential in all aspects of life, and this approach can be helpful in any field of study or profession.

4. Can "What's Wrong with This Argument?" be used to prove that an argument is entirely wrong?

No, the purpose of "What's Wrong with This Argument?" is not to prove an argument wrong, but to identify and correct any flaws or weaknesses in the reasoning. Even a valid argument may have some minor flaws that can be improved, and this approach helps to refine and strengthen the argument.

5. How can one improve at "What's Wrong with This Argument?"

One can improve at "What's Wrong with This Argument?" by practicing regularly and being open to feedback. It is essential to approach each argument with an open mind and be willing to challenge your own assumptions. Additionally, seeking out resources and guidance from experts in the field can also help improve critical thinking skills.