1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between two charged particles

1. Nov 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles with a similar charge are held at a distance of 3.2*10^-3 m and then released. The acceleration of the first particle is measured at 7.0 m/s^2, and for the second at 9.0 m?s^2. The mass of the first particle is 6.3*10^-7. What is the mass of the second particle?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma F=G*m1*m2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

F1=m1a1 F2=m2a2 (where F1 and F2 are the forces exerted by each particle respectively)

F1 - F2 = G*m1*m2/r^2

(since the particles are similarly charged, they would have forces pointing in opposite directions)

after substitution and making m2 the subject of the formula:

m2 = (m1*a1*r^2)/(Gm1 + a2r^2)

which gives: m2 = 4.31*10^-7

I am not so sure if the method I used is completely correct, can someone please tell me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The particles are charged. Do you really think that they will primarily feel a gravitational attraction? And to you really need to calculate the value of the force, or isn't there one of Newton's law you can use?

4. Nov 20, 2013 #3
    Hi, thanks for replying. Are the forces produced by the two particles equal? Because then I can use Newton's second law as such:

m1a1=m2a2

Would this be correct?

5. Nov 20, 2013 #4

DrClaude

Yes, this is waht I was hinting at. If particle 1 feels a force from particle 2, then particle two must feel an equal and opposite force from particle 1.

6. Nov 20, 2013 #5
    In the second part they're asking me to find the charge of each particle. I know I should use this formula:

F = k.q^2/r^2

and solve for q. As my force should I substitute 2*ma, since there are two particles, or is one enough?

7. Nov 20, 2013 #6

DrClaude

In essence, there are not two forces, but one that affects two particles, albeit in different directions. So no factor of two.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted