Force between two charged particles

In summary, the conversation discusses two similarly charged particles held at a distance, their acceleration when released, and the mass of one particle being given in terms of the other particle's mass. The conversation also explores using Newton's second law to calculate the mass of the second particle and using the formula for electric force to find the charge of each particle.
hk4491

Homework Statement

Two particles with a similar charge are held at a distance of 3.2*10^-3 m and then released. The acceleration of the first particle is measured at 7.0 m/s^2, and for the second at 9.0 m?s^2. The mass of the first particle is 6.3*10^-7. What is the mass of the second particle?

Homework Equations

F=ma F=G*m1*m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

F1=m1a1 F2=m2a2 (where F1 and F2 are the forces exerted by each particle respectively)

F1 - F2 = G*m1*m2/r^2

(since the particles are similarly charged, they would have forces pointing in opposite directions)

after substitution and making m2 the subject of the formula:

m2 = (m1*a1*r^2)/(Gm1 + a2r^2)

which gives: m2 = 4.31*10^-7

I am not so sure if the method I used is completely correct, can someone please tell me?

Physics news on Phys.org
hk4491 said:

Homework Equations

F=ma F=G*m1*m2/r^2
The particles are charged. Do you really think that they will primarily feel a gravitational attraction? And to you really need to calculate the value of the force, or isn't there one of Newton's law you can use?

Hi, thanks for replying. Are the forces produced by the two particles equal? Because then I can use Newton's second law as such:

m1a1=m2a2

Would this be correct?

Yes, this is waht I was hinting at. If particle 1 feels a force from particle 2, then particle two must feel an equal and opposite force from particle 1.

Likes 1 person
In the second part they're asking me to find the charge of each particle. I know I should use this formula:

F = k.q^2/r^2

and solve for q. As my force should I substitute 2*ma, since there are two particles, or is one enough?

hk4491 said:
In the second part they're asking me to find the charge of each particle. I know I should use this formula:

F = k.q^2/r^2

and solve for q. As my force should I substitute 2*ma, since there are two particles, or is one enough?
In essence, there are not two forces, but one that affects two particles, albeit in different directions. So no factor of two.

Likes 1 person

What is the force between two charged particles?

The force between two charged particles is an attractive or repulsive force that exists due to the interaction of their electric charges. It is governed by Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the force between two charged particles?

The force between two charged particles depends on two main factors: the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The larger the charges, the stronger the force will be. Similarly, the closer the particles are to each other, the stronger the force will be.

Can the force between two charged particles be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two charged particles can be either attractive or repulsive. If the charges are of the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force will be repulsive. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.

How is the force between two charged particles calculated?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's law: F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant (9 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of measurement for the force between two charged particles?

The unit of measurement for the force between two charged particles is Newtons (N), which is the unit for force in the International System of Units (SI). This unit is used to measure the strength of the force between charged particles, just like it is used to measure other types of forces.