Force exerted by a rod on supports

• Thread starter dvep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Rod
Post (b) is a simple matter of plugging numbers into an equation, and hitting the buttons on your calculator.
dvep

Homework Statement

A steel rod having a cross-sectional area of 0.005 m^2and length 3 m is attached to supports at both ends. Find (a) the force exerted by the rod on the supports if the temperature falls 60ºC and the supports are unyielding, and (b) the force exerted by the rod on the supports if they yield 0.0002 m while the temperature raises 50ºC. Take E = 210 GPa, coefficient of thermal expansion =10.5 x 10^(-6) °C^(-1)

Homework Equations

dl = length x temperature change x expansion coefficient
E = stress/strain
F = α x ΔT x A x E

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
rod unrestrained : dl = original length x temperature change x expansion coefficient

= 3 x 60 x 10.5 x 10^(-6)
= 1.89 x10^-3 m

Tensile stress due to supports : E = stress/strain = (Force*cross-sect area)/(dl*orig length)

at this point I have no force, do I just neglect it in this equation?

Or do I just use the equation:
F = α x ΔT x A x E

Where E is the modulus of elasticity
α is the expansion coefficient

Am I on the right track? Would be grateful for any help of guidance.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Your last equation looks correct.

dvep please can you answer the complete question please..

nvn said:
You are on the right track. Your last equation looks correct.

a) F = α * ΔT * A * E
= -661.500 kN

b) F= (E x Change in length x Area)/length
= 481.250 MN

Is the correct method? I have derived equations to give me that.

thanks.

dvep: I forgot to mention, in this particular scenario, put a negative sign on your last equation in post 1. Regarding post 4: (a) Your answer is correct, except change negative answer to positive. Rod and supports are in tension. (b) Your answer is correct, except change positive answer to negative. Rod and supports are in compression. Also, the units should be kN, not MN. Also, see the last paragraph of post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=463768#post3087641", regarding rounding your final answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
nvn said:
dvep: I forgot to mention, in this particular scenario, put a negative sign on your last equation in post 1. Regarding post 4: (a) Your answer is correct, except change negative answer to positive. Rod and supports are in tension. (b) Your answer is correct, except change positive answer to negative. Rod and supports are in compression. Also, the units should be kN, not MN. Also, see the last paragraph of post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=463768#post3087641", regarding rounding your final answer.

Thanks for your reply nvn

Can I ask why we would put the negative sign in the equation? When putting ∆T in the equation, seeing that it goes down by 60C, I input it as -60C right?

Yes, put a negative sign on the equation. And the temperature change is -60 C; therefore, input -60 C. This gives a positive (tensile) force.

nvn said:
Yes, put a negative sign on the equation. And the temperature change is -60 C; therefore, input -60 C. This gives a positive (tensile) force.

Thank you

nvn said:

Can I just ask for a) wouldn't the length change be a negative number as it contracts?
and for b) i don't understand where the negative comes from in the equations.
I get the theory, but I can't see it in the maths.
Would it not be dt =yield - unrestrained change in length
= 0.0002-0.001575
= -0.001375 m

Then apply this to the equation which would give us a negative number, which then would mean it is compressive?

Also,I have seen a fairly similar problem in a book and it gives the compression force as a positive number, why do you think this is?

dvep: (a) Yes, a decrease in length is a negative length change (contraction) and a negative strain. If you constrain this contraction, then it causes a positive (tensile) force and a positive (tensile) stress. If unconstrained, epsilon = alpha*deltaT, where epsilon = strain = dL/L. If constrained, epsilon = -alpha*deltaT. Finally, F = E*epsilon*A.

(b) For part b in post 9, because the rod is constrained, yes, we have epsilon = dLyield/L - dLthermal/L = dLyield/L - alpha*deltaT = (0.2 mm)/(3000 mm) - (10.5e-6/C)(50 C) = 0.000 066 667 - 0.000 525 000 = -0.000 458 333. Or, we might say, dL = epsilon*L = dLyield - dLthermal = dLyield - alpha*deltaT*L = 0.2 mm - (10.5e-6/C)(50 C)(3000 mm) = -1.375 mm. And epsilon = dL/L = (-1.375 mm)/(3000 mm) = -0.000 458 333. Finally, F = E*epsilon*A.

Sometimes compressive force is stated as a positive number, followed (or preceded) by the word "compression."

Hi guys,

For some reason I am getting different answer for (b). I am getting 551.250 KN.
Can someone explain to me how dvnp got 481.50 MN. Please

Thanks

ankhkeansoo: No, you must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work; and then someone might check your math. Also, you misspelled kN.

1. What is the force exerted by a rod on supports?

The force exerted by a rod on supports is the external force that the rod applies on the supports to keep it in equilibrium. This force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight of the rod.

2. How is the force exerted by a rod on supports calculated?

The force exerted by a rod on supports can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What factors can affect the force exerted by a rod on supports?

The force exerted by a rod on supports can be affected by several factors, including the weight and length of the rod, the material of the rod, and the angle at which the rod is placed on the supports.

4. How does the angle of the rod on supports affect the force exerted?

The angle of the rod on supports can affect the force exerted by changing the direction in which the force is applied. For example, if the rod is placed at a steeper angle, the force exerted will be more vertical, while a smaller angle will result in a more horizontal force.

5. Can the force exerted by a rod on supports be negative?

Yes, the force exerted by a rod on supports can be negative if the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the weight of the rod. This can occur if the rod is placed at an angle where the force is pulling downwards instead of upwards.