Forces acting on a pulley question

In summary, the tension (T1) in the string held by student 1 and the teacher is the same at all points. When student 1 pulls on the rope, they only have to exert a tension of slightly more than 85/2 to move student 2’s chair. Student 1 will not move until T1 is greater than 50, therefore student 2’s chair moves first.
amanda.ka

Homework Statement

Student 1 (50-kg), sits on a chair with metal runners, at rest. Student 2 (85-kg), sits on an identical chair. Both students keep their feet off the floor. A rope runs from student 1's hands around a light pulley and then over her shoulder to the hands of a teacher standing on the floor behind her. The low friction axle of the pulley is attached to a second rope held by student 2. All ropes run parallel to the chair runners.

a) If student 1 pulls on the end of the rope, will her chair or 2’s chair slide on the floor?

b) If instead the teacher pulls on his rope end, which chair slides? Why this one?

c) If student 2 pulls on his rope which chair slides? Why?

d) Now the teacher ties his end of the rope to student 1’s chair. Student 1 pulls on the end of the rope in her hands. Which chair slides and why.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Student 1's chair will slide forward then student 2's chair will slide forward as well.
b) Both student 1 and 2's chairs move because there is tension in the rope that pulls on student 1 and that pulley is connected to student 2 as well.
c) Both student 1 and 2 slide forward because when student 2 pulls on his rope he pulls the pulley which increases the tension in the rope of student 1
d) Student A will move first followed by 2

Im not quite sure how to approach this problem and was just trying to reason through it :P Could someone tell me if I'm on the right track? Thank you![/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 3.50.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-26 at 3.50.59 PM.png
    3 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not made clear, but I think you are supposed to assume (1) that there is friction between runners and floor, and (2) that the rope is only pulled hard enough to achieve some motion.
What do you know about frictional forces?

haruspex said:
It is not made clear, but I think you are supposed to assume (1) that there is friction between runners and floor, and (2) that the rope is only pulled hard enough to achieve some motion.
What do you know about frictional forces?

Assuming that the mass of the chair does not count, the force due to friction would be equal to Ff = μN = ( μ)(g)( mass of the person) correct?

amanda.ka said:
Assuming that the mass of the chair does not count, the force due to friction would be equal to Ff = μN = ( μ)(g)( mass of the person) correct?
What is mu here, the static or kinetic coefficient?

haruspex said:
What is mu here, the static or kinetic coefficient?
I believe that it is the static

amanda.ka said:
I believe that it is the static
Yes. A common misunderstanding about static friction is saying that the frictional force is equal to the coefficient multiplied by the normal force. That's true for kinetic friction but not for static. Can you post a correct formulation of the relationship?

haruspex said:
Yes. A common misunderstanding about static friction is saying that the frictional force is equal to the coefficient multiplied by the normal force. That's true for kinetic friction but not for static. Can you post a correct formulation of the relationship?

μs = fs max/N

amanda.ka said:
μs = fs max/N
Right, it only gives you the maximum value of the frictional force.
So if the rope is pulled only just hard enough to start something moving, will both chairs move?

haruspex said:
Right, it only gives you the maximum value of the frictional force.
So if the rope is pulled only just hard enough to start something moving, will both chairs move?
So will only the lighter of the two chairs move in that case?

amanda.ka said:
So will only the lighter of the two chairs move in that case?
If it were not for the pulley, yes. But you do need to take the pulley into account.
Assuming the same coefficient of friction for each, consider what tension in the rope will move the first chair, and what tension will move the second chair.

haruspex said:
If it were not for the pulley, yes. But you do need to take the pulley into account.
Assuming the same coefficient of friction for each, consider what tension in the rope will move the first chair, and what tension will move the second chair.

ok i think I am starting to get it now, trying question a) again my attempt at the answer is:
Assuming that the tension (T1) in the string held by student 1 and the teacher is the same at all points. Also the tension (T2) in the second rope is twice the tension of T1. When student 1 pulls on the rope, they only have to exert a tension of slightly more than 85/2 to move student 2’s chair. Student 1 will not move until T1 is greater than 50, therefore student 2’s chair moves first.

amanda.ka said:
ok i think I am starting to get it now, trying question a) again my attempt at the answer is:
Assuming that the tension (T1) in the string held by student 1 and the teacher is the same at all points. Also the tension (T2) in the second rope is twice the tension of T1. When student 1 pulls on the rope, they only have to exert a tension of slightly more than 85/2 to move student 2’s chair. Student 1 will not move until T1 is greater than 50, therefore student 2’s chair moves first.
Right answer, but you have not expressed the logic correctly.
As you wrote, the tension is the same throughout the rope, but then you wrote "the tension (T2) in the second rope is twice the tension of T1". What should you have said instead?

haruspex said:
Right answer, but you have not expressed the logic correctly.
As you wrote, the tension is the same throughout the rope, but then you wrote "the tension (T2) in the second rope is twice the tension of T1". What should you have said instead?
hmmm I'm not quite sure what I did wrong there, is it because we do not know how much greater the tension in the shorter string actually is? So I cannot definitely say that it is twice the tension of T1?

amanda.ka said:
hmmm I'm not quite sure what I did wrong there, is it because we do not know how much greater the tension in the shorter string actually is? So I cannot definitely say that it is twice the tension of T1?
I'm very sorry - doing too many things at once. What you wrote is fine.

Likes amanda.ka
haruspex said:
I'm very sorry - doing too many things at once. What you wrote is fine.

ok thank you for your help :)

One more thought - you also have to assume the chairs have mass under 15kg.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. When one end of the rope is pulled, the object attached to the other end is lifted or moved. Pulleys work by distributing the weight of the object over multiple ropes, making it easier to lift.

2. What are the different types of forces acting on a pulley?

The main forces acting on a pulley are tension, friction, and weight. Tension is the force exerted by the rope or cable on the pulley, which allows it to rotate. Friction is the resistance between the pulley and the rope, which can affect the efficiency of the pulley. Weight is the force exerted by the object being lifted or moved, which is distributed over the pulley and ropes.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the force needed to lift an object?

The number of pulleys affects the force needed to lift an object by reducing the amount of force required. According to the principle of mechanical advantage, the more pulleys used in a system, the less force is needed to lift the object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed over multiple ropes and pulleys, reducing the overall force needed to lift it.

4. Can the direction of the pulling force affect the efficiency of a pulley system?

Yes, the direction of the pulling force can affect the efficiency of a pulley system. When the pulling force is in the same direction as the movement of the object, the efficiency is higher. This is because the tension in the rope is reduced, and less energy is lost due to friction. However, if the pulling force is in the opposite direction, the efficiency is lower as more energy is required to overcome the increased tension and friction in the system.

5. How can you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the amount of force needed to lift it. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and it takes 20 pounds of force to lift it using a pulley system, the mechanical advantage would be 5 (100/20 = 5). This means that the pulley system is able to lift the object using only 20% of the force that would be needed without the pulleys.