Fourier series coefficients and convergence

In summary, the sequence of Riemann integrable functions \left\{ f_{k} \right\} ^{k=1}_{\infty} on the interval [0, 1] converges to zero as k \rightarrow \infty, which implies that the Fourier coefficients \hat{f} _{k} (n) converge uniformly to \hat{f} (n) as k \rightarrow \infty. The proof involves showing that the integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two converges to zero, and then using the comparison test to show that the Fourier coefficients also converge to zero. This, in turn, implies that the convergence is uniform, as the upper bound does not
stripes

Homework Statement

Third question of the day because this assignment is driving me crazy:

Suppose that [itex]\left\{ f_{k} \right\} ^{k=1}_{\infty}[/itex] is a sequence of Riemann integrable functions on the interval [0, 1] such that

[itex]\int ^{0}_{1} |f_{k}(x) - f(x)|dx \rightarrow 0 as k \rightarrow \infty[/itex].

Show that [itex]\hat{f} _{k} (n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n) [/itex] uniformly in n as [itex]k \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to do this rigorously. I can only approach it intuitively. Since the integral of the absolute value tends to zero, I want to say that [itex]f_{k}(x) \rightarrow f(x)[/itex]. But I'm not sure how to show that. If [itex]f_{k}(x) \rightarrow f(x)[/itex] is indeed true, then is it not trivial that [itex]\hat{f} _{k} (n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n) [/itex]? Furthermore, how would I show the convergence is uniform? Do I just have to use the epsilon definition? I also want to say for all epsilon greater than zero, there exists fk(x) such that [itex]|f_{k}(x) - f(x)| < \epsilon[/itex] since fk converges to f. But I need to first show that fk converges to f, using the fact that the integral of the absolute value of the difference between the two converges to zero! I am piecing it together but I don't know how to write it down in the form of an answer. Thanks in advance.

Edit: f hat is the Fourier coefficient, I guess in complex form.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's really simple:

[itex] |\hat{f_k}-\hat{f}|=|\int (f_k(x)-f(x))exp(-i n x) dx |[/itex]

Now use triangle inequality, and the fact that |exp(-inx)|=1.

[itex]

\int ^{1}_{0} |f_{k}(x) - f(x)|dx \geq | \int ^{1}_{0} f_{k}(x) - f(x)dx | = | \int ^{1}_{0} ( f_{k}(x) - \int ^{1}_{0} f(x) ) dx | = | \int ^{1}_{0} ( f_{k}(x) (e^{-inx}) - \int ^{1}_{0} f(x) (e^{-inx}) ) dx | [/itex]

because [itex] (e^{-inx}) = 1[/itex] for all [itex]n, x \geq 0[/itex]. We know n starts at 1, and the question tells us [itex] x \in [0, 1] [/itex].

[itex]

| \int ^{1}_{0} ( f_{k}(x) (e^{-inx}) - \int ^{1}_{0} f(x) (e^{-inx}) ) dx | = | \hat{f} _{k}(n) - \hat{f} (n) |

[/itex]

So by the comparison test, [itex] \int ^{0}_{1} |f_{k}(x) - f(x)|dx \rightarrow 0 [/itex] as [itex]k \rightarrow \infty \Rightarrow | \hat{f} _{k}(n) - \hat{f} (n) | \rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow \hat{f} _{k}(n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n) [/itex]?

If this is right (I don't think my last statement is correct), do I just use the epsilon definition of uniform convergence by finding N so that [itex]|f_{k}(n) - f(n)| < \epsilon[/itex]?

stripes said:
[itex]

\int ^{1}_{0} |f_{k}(x) - f(x)|dx \geq | \int ^{1}_{0} f_{k}(x) - f(x)dx | = | \int ^{1}_{0} ( f_{k}(x) - \int ^{1}_{0} f(x) ) dx | = | \int ^{1}_{0} ( f_{k}(x) (e^{-inx}) - \int ^{1}_{0} f(x) (e^{-inx}) ) dx | [/itex]

because [itex] (e^{-inx}) = 1[/itex] for all [itex]n, x \geq 0[/itex].
No, it is not true that [itex]e^{-inx} = 1[/itex]. It is true if you add absolute value signs: [itex]|e^{-inx}| = 1[/itex]. Try starting like this:
$$\left|\hat{f}_k - \hat{f}\right| = \left|\int_0^1 f_k(x) e^{-inx} dx - \int_0^1 f(x) e^{-inx} dx\right| = \left|\int_0^1 (f_k(x) - f(x))e^{-inx} dx\right| \leq \int_0^1 \left| (f_k(x) - f(x))e^{-inx} \right| dx = \ldots$$

My mistake.

[itex]

\ldots = \left|\int_0^1 (f_k(x) - f(x))e^{-inx} dx\right| \leq \int_0^1 \left| (f_k(x) - f(x))e^{-inx} \right| dx = \int ^{1}_{0} |f_{k} (x) - f(x)||e^{-inx}| dx = \int ^{1}_{0} |f_{k} (x) - f(x)|(1) dx[/itex] which converges to zero. By the comparison test, [itex] \left|\hat{f}_k - \hat{f}\right| [/itex] also converges to zero.

Then [itex] | \hat{f} _{k}(n) - \hat{f} (n) | \rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow \hat{f} _{k}(n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n)[/itex]?

stripes said:
Then [itex] | \hat{f} _{k}(n) - \hat{f} (n) | \rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow \hat{f} _{k}(n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n)[/itex]?
Yes, that's certainly true. If the absolute value of some quantity is approaching zero, then the quantity itself must also approach zero.

Alright. Thanks for your help thus far. I have shown that [itex]| \hat{f} _{k}(n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n)[/itex], but I need to show the convergence is uniform. My question is, will my conclusion help me show uniform convergence? I.e., can I work with what I've gotten to show uniform convergence, or must I start from scratch with the definition?

stripes said:
Alright. Thanks for your help thus far. I have shown that [itex]| \hat{f} _{k}(n) \rightarrow \hat{f} (n)[/itex], but I need to show the convergence is uniform. My question is, will my conclusion help me show uniform convergence? I.e., can I work with what I've gotten to show uniform convergence, or must I start from scratch with the definition?
Your proof already shows that the convergence is uniform, because your upper bound, [itex]\int ^{1}_{0} |f_{k} (x) - f(x)| dx[/itex], does not depend on [itex]n[/itex].

jbunniii said:
Your proof already shows that the convergence is uniform, because your upper bound, [itex]\int ^{1}_{0} |f_{k} (x) - f(x)| dx[/itex], does not depend on [itex]n[/itex].

Right! Well it wasn't really my proof. You and MathematicalPhysicist basically did it. While I do understand it, I (obviously) have a hard time getting things started. I still have another question I haven't done and the other one you're helping me with!

Thanks again.

1. What are Fourier series coefficients?

Fourier series coefficients are the numerical values that represent the amplitudes and phases of the individual sinusoidal components that make up a Fourier series. They are used to express a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions.

2. How are Fourier series coefficients calculated?

Fourier series coefficients are calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the original function over one period and multiplying it by the appropriate sine or cosine function. This process is repeated for each individual term in the series.

3. Why are Fourier series coefficients important?

Fourier series coefficients are important because they allow us to approximate any periodic function with a series of simpler sinusoidal functions. This is useful in a variety of applications, including signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations.

4. What is the relationship between Fourier series coefficients and convergence?

The convergence of a Fourier series is determined by the behavior of its Fourier series coefficients. If the coefficients decrease at a fast enough rate, then the series will converge to the original function. However, if the coefficients do not decrease quickly enough, the series will not converge.

5. How can we determine the convergence of a Fourier series?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of a Fourier series, such as the Dirichlet test and the Abel-Poisson test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the Fourier series coefficients and can determine whether the series will converge or not.