Free Body Diagram for simply supported beam

In summary, when drawing a free body diagram (FBD), it is important to consider all the forces acting on an object and their direction. The sum of the horizontal forces and the sum of the vertical forces must equal zero. When drawing the FBD, it is also important to consider the supports and any external forces acting on the object.
Kasthuri

Homework Statement

As shown in the attachment, a free body diagram (FBD) must be drawn

Homework Equations

sum of horizontal force = 0
sum of vertical force = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Forces F1 and F2 appear exactly as they are in the FBD

2. At point A, there is an outward horizontal force : <----- A, to counteract F2

3. At point B, there is an upward force to counteract F1 :

B
^
|
|
|

However, I think I have done something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Attachments

• beam.JPG
    beam.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,387
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kasthuri;4009649 3. At point B said:
You are missing a force at point A.

That's what I thought too, because it's pin supported, there should be a horizontal and vertical force acting at point A. But I attached another picture that shows where to draw the forces. And there's only one force that can be drawn at point A.

Also all the circles don't have to have forces drawn on them, so I left the middle circle.

Attachments

• beamForce.JPG
    beamForce.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 538
Why not draw it at an angle representing the resultant of the horiz and vert forces ?

ok thank you Cwatters and phanthomJay. I found it was possible to more than one force on one circle.

Related to Free Body Diagram for simply supported beam

1. What is a free body diagram for a simply supported beam?

A free body diagram for a simply supported beam is a visual representation of all the external forces acting on the beam, including the reactions at the support points and any applied loads. It helps to analyze and solve problems related to the beam's equilibrium and behavior.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram for a simply supported beam?

To draw a free body diagram for a simply supported beam, start by identifying all the external forces acting on the beam, such as the weight of the beam, any applied loads, and the reactions at the support points. Then, draw a simplified version of the beam, representing it as a straight line. Finally, draw arrows representing the direction and magnitude of each force acting on the beam.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram for a simply supported beam?

Some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram for a simply supported beam include: forgetting to include all the external forces, not considering the beam's weight, and incorrectly representing the direction and magnitude of the forces. It is also essential to label all the forces and ensure that they are in equilibrium.

4. How can a free body diagram for a simply supported beam be used to solve problems?

A free body diagram for a simply supported beam can be used to solve problems by applying the principles of equilibrium. By summing the forces in the horizontal and vertical directions, as well as the moments, the unknown forces or reactions can be calculated. It is also helpful in determining the internal forces and stresses within the beam.

5. Are there any software tools or resources available for drawing free body diagrams for simply supported beams?

Yes, there are several software tools and resources available for drawing free body diagrams for simply supported beams. Some popular options include engineering drawing software like AutoCAD or SolidWorks, as well as online tools such as SmartDraw or Lucidchart. Additionally, many textbooks and online tutorials provide step-by-step guides for drawing free body diagrams.