Free Body Diagram Help: Homework Equations and Attempts

In summary, the conversation discusses determining reaction forces in a diagram with a beam holding point B and 3 forces. The professor advises to consider if the beam is preventing the point from moving in any direction and to label reaction forces accordingly. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and using equilibrium equations to find the reaction forces at A and C. It is also noted that the weight of the beam may be negligible in this case.
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

I feel that I am a bit fuzzy whether things are reaction forces. In the diagram I see there is a beam holding point B, and there are 3 forces: Cable BC, 500N, and 780N.

My professor wrote:
Ask yourself: is the beam holding the point from moving up or down, right or left? If so you will need to include the appropriate reaction forces in your FBD.

To me, it is, as the beam is not hinged. Unfortunately I am not quite sure how to handle how to label the reaction force. Any advice would be great!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My FBD is attached.

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 532
  • FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
At A, the reaction force is Upwards

When you draw a FBD of joint B, you must include ALL forces, both external and internal, acting on the joint. You neglected to include the force of the beam acting on the joint. You should also break down the applied external forces at B into their x and y components.

It is often best to find the reaction forces at A and C first, by using the 3 equilibrium equations and noting that the reaction force at C must be directed along the cable direction BC.

Endorser said:
At A, the reaction force is Upwards
I don't see any reference to the weight of the beam, so I assume it is negligible, in which case there cannot be any upward force at A, since this is a pure truss with axial tensile or compressive forces only, in the cable and beam.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, let's clarify what a free body diagram (FBD) is. A free body diagram is a simplified representation of an object or system, showing all the external forces acting on it. It helps us analyze and solve problems involving forces and motion.

In this case, the object of interest is the beam holding point B. The three forces acting on it are the cable BC, 500N force, and 780N force. To create a FBD, we need to draw the object as a single point, and then add arrows to represent the forces acting on it. It is important to label each force with its magnitude and direction.

Now, let's address the issue of reaction forces. Reaction forces are forces that arise due to the constraints or supports of an object. In this case, the beam is holding point B, so there will be reaction forces at that point to prevent it from moving up, down, left, or right. These reaction forces are not explicitly shown in the given diagram, but we can label them as RBx and RBy, representing the horizontal and vertical reaction forces, respectively.

To determine the magnitude and direction of these reaction forces, we can use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero for the object to be in equilibrium (not moving). In other words, the net force in the x-direction (horizontal) and y-direction (vertical) must be zero. Using this principle, we can set up equations to solve for the reaction forces RBx and RBy.

In summary, to handle the reaction forces in this problem, we need to include them in our FBD and use the principle of equilibrium to determine their magnitudes and directions. I hope this helps with your homework and understanding of free body diagrams. Good luck!

Related to Free Body Diagram Help: Homework Equations and Attempts

What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a simplified representation of an object or system in which all external forces acting on the object are shown as arrows, labeled with their magnitude and direction. It helps to visualize and analyze the forces acting on an object and their effects on its motion.

How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, start by identifying the object of interest and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows to represent each force, labeling them with their magnitude and direction. Make sure to include all forces acting on the object, even if they cancel each other out.

What are the key components of a free body diagram?

The key components of a free body diagram are the object of interest, all the external forces acting on the object, and the arrows representing those forces. It is also important to label the forces with their magnitude and direction, and to make sure all forces are accounted for.

How can a free body diagram help with solving problems?

A free body diagram can help with solving problems by providing a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object, which can aid in identifying the net force and determining the object's motion. It also helps to keep track of all the forces and their effects, making it easier to apply the relevant equations and solve for unknown quantities.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing a free body diagram. These include not including all the external forces acting on the object, not labeling the forces with their magnitude and direction, and not accurately representing the direction of the forces. It is also important to make sure the forces are drawn to scale and in the correct relative positions.