What Is the Correct Frequency of the Tuning Fork Based on Standing Waves?

In summary, a 40-cm-long tube with a movable insert is used to create standing waves with a vibrating tuning fork. The length of the tube at which the standing waves occur are 42.5 cm, 56.7 cm, and 70.9 cm. The wavelength can be determined using the equation 2L/m, where m=1,2,3,4... and the frequency can be found using the equation mv/2L, where m=1,2,3,4... The value of m corresponds to the number of anti-nodes in the standing wave, with m=1 representing the shortest standing wave with one anti-node. This system is an open-closed system, so only odd
y_chen

Homework Statement

A 40-cm-long tube has a 40-cm-long insert that can be pulled in and out. A vibrating tuning fork is held next to the tube. As the insert is slowly pulled out, the sound from the tuning fork creates standing waves in the tube when the total length L is 42.5 cm, 56.7 cm, and 70.9 cm.

Homework Equations

The wavelength= 2L/m where m=1,2,3,4...
frequency: mv/2L where m=1,2,3,4

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an open ended-opened tube. Since I know the values of L, I can find the wavelengths (but I still don't know m). The frequency of the tuning fork would not change, but I am confused about what to do next. How do I approach this question? Thank you for all the help.

<< spam links deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Each value of m gives you a standing wave with a different amount of nodes, correct? Notice that you have three L's which give you standing waves. How would these relate to the values of m?

I still don't really understand how the value of m connects to the three values of L. And how can that help me to find the frequency of the tuning fork?

<< spam links deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
The frequency of the tuning fork will have to be equal to the frequency of the wave created by it.

What does the value of m correspond to physically? Notice that the shortest standing wave is set up with an L of 42.5cm. This will then correspond to a standing wave with one antinode. The second distance would then have to correspond to a standing wave with two antinodes, etc.

I assumed that this system is an open-open system. Is that right? If it is accurate, then wouldn't m represent the number of nodes? Would the second length represent the second harmonic then? Wouldn't changing the length change the fundamental frequency? How do you know that the shortest standing wave has one anti-node?

Last edited:
y_chen said:
I assumed that this system is an open-open system. Is that right? If it is accurate, then wouldn't m represent the number of nodes? Would the second length represent the second harmonic then? Wouldn't changing the length change the fundamental frequency? How do you know that the shortest standing wave has one anti-node?

An open-open system? Do you mean open-closed? Remember there is a movable barrier at one end, so that end isn't open.

I mis-spoke before. The m value for an open-closed system does not correspond to the number of antinodes or nodes. Still, m=1 corresponds to the standing wave with the least number of anti nodes, and the number of anti-nodes increases as m increases, but they are not equal. Also, remember for a open-closed system, m can only be odd and the formulas are different from the ones you have above. Make sure you use the correct ones.

Remember the frequency of the wave can't change, since all that depends on is the tuning fork itself. Changing the barrier will change the amount of anti-nodes and nodes of the standing wave that can fit in the tube, that is all.

Since, we have an open-closed system, the fundamental standing wave will be one that has a node at the barrier and an antinode at the end of the tube. This has to correspond to the L=42.5 case, since there are no standing waves for any shorter distances. So, m=1 corresponds to L=42.5m.

Now, what would m=3 and m=5 correspond to? (Remember m can only take odd values in this case.)

Last edited:
I am doing the same problem as well. So from what I have read, since the frequency of the tubes does not change, the wavelength of the standing wave would be 56.7-42.5=14.2cm or 0.142m. Then I would take the speed of sound divided by the wavelength to get the frequency, am I correct? Also, is the speed of sound for the question 343m/s or 340m/s? Thanks in advanced.

Edit: wait is the above mentioned wavelength only half the value? Do I need to multiply 0.142m by 2 to get 0.284m, the actual wavelength?Nvm yea it's half the wavelength, the answer is 1210 Hz for future references.

Last edited:

Related to What Is the Correct Frequency of the Tuning Fork Based on Standing Waves?

1. What is the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork refers to the number of vibrations or oscillations per second that it produces. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of a tuning fork determined?

The frequency of a tuning fork is determined by its size, shape, and material properties, such as density and elasticity. These factors affect the speed at which the fork's prongs vibrate, resulting in a specific frequency.

3. What affects the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and humidity. Additionally, any damage or deformation to the fork's prongs can alter its frequency.

4. How do you measure the frequency of a tuning fork?

The frequency of a tuning fork can be measured using a frequency counter or a smartphone app that detects and displays the frequency of sound waves. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by counting the number of vibrations in a given amount of time.

5. Why is the frequency of a tuning fork important?

The frequency of a tuning fork is important because it is used as a standard reference for tuning musical instruments, calibrating scientific equipment, and conducting experiments in physics and acoustics. It also has practical applications, such as in clocks and watches.