How to Calculate Frictional Forces and Acceleration in a Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a block being pushed along a floor with a force of 20 N at an angle of -40°. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.25. The problem asks for the magnitude of the frictional force and the block's acceleration. The conversation then mentions a similar problem from a book with different values, and the answers do not match. Another question is asked about finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a book and floor based on its acceleration and force. The answer is given as 0.58, but the person is unable to reach that answer. They tried dividing the acceleration by gravity and using the mass and force values, but the answer was still incorrect.
fiestytig
Here's my first question:

A 3.3 kg block is pushed along a horizontal floor by a force F of magnitude 20 N at an angle = -40°. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and floor is 0.25.

(a) Calculate the magnitude of the frictional force on the block from the floor.
(b) Calculate the magnitude of the block's acceleration acceleration.

This problem is adapted from a book problem. The figures in the book are: m=3.5 kg, angle = -40; ck=.25. I worked that one and got answers that agreed with the book (a) 11 N (b) .14 m/s2. Plugging the different number into the same problem does not give me answers that are correct! Here's what I did for the book problem:

(a) I first found T using equation substitution like in problem 6-2. I
used T to find Fn and Fn to find fk. For the book problem, I got 11 N,
which is correct per the book. For the homework assignment, I got 10 N,
which is not correct. I checked my math, and I'm not doing anything
differently. What am I missing?

(b) I drew a diagram to show the different forces and decided there's only
acceleration along the x axis, so I only needed to consider horizontal
forces: F and fk. I calculated Fx = F cos A. I figured a = (Fx - fk)/m.
I got .14 m/s2, which is what the book has. I did the same calculations
for the online assignment and got 1.5, which is not correct. I again
checked my math, and I'm not doing anything differently. But what am I
doing wrong?

Thanks,
the spelling-challenged fiestytig

Physics news on Phys.org
My second question that I need help with:

In a pickup game of dorm shuffleboard, students crazed by final exams use a broom to propel a calculus book along the dorm hallway. If the 3.5 kg book is pushed from rest through a distance of 0.90 m by the horizontal 25 N force from the broom and then has a speed of 1.60 m/s, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the book and floor? Book says answer is .58. I can't get that.

What I tried: I figured I could probably find acceleration and then divide that by gravity to get the coefficient. So I plugged in: 1.6^2 = 2*.9 * a, a=1.42. I tried dividing that by gravity, got .14 - no good. I decided I needed to use the m value and the F value given, so thought maybe I needed to go about it like this:
F + fk = ma = 25 + ck*9.8 = 3.5 * 9.8 * ck, ck = .98. Wrong again. Looked through 2 Physics books for other things to try, but got nothing. What am I doing wrong here?

Nobody wants to play with friction tonight? :(

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of objects that create resistance when they slide or roll against each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion. When it is present, it can slow down or stop the motion of an object. However, it can also be used to increase traction and prevent slipping, as well as to aid in controlling the speed and direction of an object.

3. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, sliding friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are in contact but not moving relative to each other. Sliding friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding against each other. Rolling friction occurs when an object is rolling over a surface.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery layer between two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother materials for the surfaces in contact can also help reduce friction.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some common examples of friction in everyday life include walking on the ground, riding a bike, and rubbing your hands together to create heat. Friction is also important in sports, as it helps with gripping and controlling the movement of balls and equipment. In industry, friction is used in brakes, clutches, and conveyor belts.